Menu

Hake Grammer users

Meljoy

I bought a Hake Grammar 6 set - USED - from Vegsource.... not here.... Anyway I was looking through the set tonight and I really like the looks of the program and then I realized I could not find the student sheets.

I have a Teachers Edition- a huge spiral bound (but the spiral rings are at least an inch in diameter- maybe 1 1/2" -anyway there is that book and a booklet that is three whole punched- the cover says :Grammer and Writing - Tests, Worksheets, & Writing Lessons. Like I said - no student sheets.

What do you think? Is this a classroom edition? I wonder if I order the student book if this will match up. The cover is similar to the one on the site -but no 6 on the cover. It does say 6 on the inside. It is the first edition- published in 2003.

I like the looks of the program but now if I want to do it I will end up spending more that I would have for a new set! GRRRRRRRRR. I am going to give the seller the benefit of the doubt and assume she did not realize what she was selling. I specifically asked her if this was the student and TE. Oh Well.

Another bit of info on a better note: The seller told me student tests 1-13 were missing so I emailed Hake Grammar to see if I could purchase just the tests and Mary Hake herself emailed me back and is mailing me the test from her home computer and would not charge me though I offered to pay. Supper nice. Makes me like the program even more. Wonder if she is a homeschooler.

I also have the first edition with the big spiral and I also bought it used. However the big spiral book says Student Edition inside, and for each lesson there is a small space for the student to write in the answers. I'm using one book for two kids so for the most part I'll be having the kids take turns answering the questions orally. I suppose you could do that as well from the teachers edition, if you don't feel like buying another book.

I cant find anywhere that says "Student Edition Inside" in mine.

I have a copy of the student sheets- but they all have the answers on them (as they would in a TE- not that someone has used them).

I did not know there was a newer edition. I wonder if I can find the old Student ed for cheaper than $40.

Also- not everything can be done orally -well I guess you could could but that would be VERY time intensive.

Can anyone who bought a NEW Hake Grammar 6 tell me what edition it is? Thanks!

I have another question- in the student book -is there room for the student to do the work (the review problems and such) in the book or do they need to write answers on separate paper?

I bought a new Hake Grammar 6 two years ago and it contained a coil bound student book (no answers), a coil bound teacher's book (same as student book only with answers) and a pack of looseleaf sheets that contained the tests and writing portion of the program. Last year I bought Hake 8 new and it contained a coil bound student book (no answers), a pack of looseleaf sheets that were the answers only for the student book, and a pack of looseleaf sheets that contained the tests and writing portion of the program. They stopped making the coil bound answer book some time before I got Hake 8.

Hake Grammar is a great program. I have also had some email interactions with Stephen Hake and he was really nice and helpful. I hope it works out for you.

I just bought the Hake 6. It says 1st edition. The student text is not spiral bound and when you open the book it says "student edition" inside. The student can do writing in the book but some would need separate pieces of paper-like for the diagramming. There is a "teacher packet" which are hole-punched answers for the student text. I also got the "writing" packet (which I don't use).

If the stuff you got just has the answers then you didn't get the student text. That would be bad. It sounds like you got the text though but you'll need the teacher packet that has the answers too. It comes in very handy. Hope this helps!

Do you think this TE will work with the new student ed. or will I have to order a new teachers packet too?

I thought I finally had all my curriclum! I am trying to get my lesson plans written up so I would like to order ASAP.