Menu

Apologia Biology full course on cd-rom

We are finishing this tomorrow! The cdrom has worked fine.

The biggest pro is the fact that as you are reading it you can click the pronounciation of the word the first time you see it. You never get it stuck in your head wrong! You also watch any additional videos riggt as you are reading. It is small and light for travel which was the reason we bought it.

The biggest negative does not happen often but as you are reading it can be hard(time consuming) to look at previous material. At those moments a book would be easier.

No real regrets. The book would probably be easiier because it is what our family would normally chose but the cdrom works well and the outcome for the dcs is no different then general and physical science when I had the chunky book. I have bought the rest as cdrom. The advanced chem am physics only come as books.:(

We are using the CD one thing we like is the live video clips in the text of cells moving and such. I think I would enjoy the book for myself but my son is more computer loving. If you use Donna Young to help with setting up your course and the timetable, be sure to get the schedule linked to the CD because there are no page numbers and there is a difference. Also the test and study guides are on a PDF file so you can print or email the file instead of tearing out pages of a book or making copies. If you want to adapt the tests for your student, you can copy and paste from the file.

Oops! I didn't see your 2nd question. It doesn't "link" per se to the CD, it just has a general syllabus for how long to spend on each chapter. There are no page numbers on the CD version so it doesn't line up exactly to the textbook version.

• 2 months later...

My son used to copy and paste the text into notes so I think you could highlight. Dd is willing to experiment in a few days with the Anatomy course if you need her to. She thinks she has by accident.

Thank you for your response!  Copying and pasting into a program like Evernote might work just fine.  If your Dd would like to experiment to see if she can highlight text again and let me know the steps, I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

Ds used the full course CD for Apologia Chemistry. We really liked it. Having the pronunciations and the linked videos made it far more user friendly than a straight textbook. We probably never would have bothered to go watch some of the video clips, but having them right there was great.

I don't see any way to highlight within the text. You can copy and paste.

Thanks Debbie! I really like the idea of hearing the correct pronunciation and the video links would definitely be a bonus!   I have another question for you.  Is the CD-Rom version "searchable" like one would search a Word document?  If you need to find something in a previous chapter, is it easy or difficult to find?

It really isn't searchable. The chapters are divided into short lessons, typically about 1-3 screens worth. Each one is titled topically and you can always see the list of topics. You can search within any of those topics, but not through all of them. 

Basically, it is a bunch of HTML files. Little web pages if you will. So you can search each page, but not all the linked pages.

We only rarely had trouble finding a concept from a previous chapter. There was a time or two when the concept we needed was a minor note and not really the topic of the lesson and we had trouble finding it.

OK, thanks!  I appreciate your helpful information.  This will definitely help me decide whether to buy the text or CD-Rom. Doesn't sound like it would be too hard. :)   I remember the old days of using videos and trying to find the right place to stop after rewinding, lol!  Glad those days are gone :)

OK, thanks!  I appreciate your helpful information.  This will definitely help me decide whether to buy the text or CD-Rom. Doesn't sound like it would be too hard. :)   I remember the old days of using videos and trying to find the right place to stop after rewinding, lol!  Glad those days are gone :)

I decided to purchase the CD-Rom and then found out it also has an Index.  So, I'm really glad to know that, too.    Thank you!  I saw that there is a Lapbook. Is it necessary?  The price is more than the CD-Rom.  Maybe we could make our own??