Menu

BJU and CLE math - Which one teaches the "why" of math more?

I feel like CLE is very good at teaching the "how" of math, and up until now has actually taught the "why" pretty well, but lately I feel like some of the lessons aren't as conceptual as they should be. I feel like it has been up to me to add that part. If you have used both BJU and CLE, which one do you think teaches the "why" of math more?

Thanks,

Kathy

I think BJU does a good job of teaching the why. It's all in the TMs, though, and many people don't invest in them because they are expensive. I tried CLE for a time, but ds didn't need nearly that much review. I felt the teacher's manuals were lacking quite a bit. I tried Horizons, CLE, and Singapore before settling in on BJU. I'm going to use it through Pre-Algebra. I don't love their high school books. The nice thing about BJU is that the lessons are scripted if you need it and are manipulative driven if you need that aspect as well. The CDs in the TMs are awesome. There are extra practice pages, enrichment lessons, facts practice printables, teaching visuals and charts, etc. I've used 3rd, 4th, and have started 5th.

I think BJU does a good job of teaching the why. It's all in the TMs, though, and many people don't invest in them because they are expensive. I tried CLE for a time, but ds didn't need nearly that much review. I felt the teacher's manuals were lacking quite a bit. I tried Horizons, CLE, and Singapore before settling in on BJU. I'm going to use it through Pre-Algebra. I don't love their high school books. The nice thing about BJU is that the lessons are scripted if you need it and are manipulative driven if you need that aspect as well. The CDs in the TMs are awesome. There are extra practice pages, enrichment lessons, facts practice printables, teaching visuals and charts, etc. I've used 3rd, 4th, and have started 5th.

Thanks, Amy. I have heard they are revising their high school books. Are any of them out yet? Do you know a time frame?

Thanks,

Kathy

BJU wins this contest. I switched Son 2 from CLE after he told me he had no idea why the math worked. CLE is still very very good, though. BJU just explains and shows why better. There is a distance learning option for just one class if you think teaching it yourself might be overwhelming.

Thanks for your reply, Paradox5. How far did you get in CLE and what levels of BJU have you used? I appreciate your thoughts.

Kathy

Thanks, it will be interesting to see reviews on the new Alg I as people use it. I plan to see them at convention next week and will ask them about the rollout of the other levels. I've joined the Yahoo group, too, so maybe will find some information on there.

I agree, CLE's strength is helping kids learn their facts. No other program seems to have the structure in place that makes it so painless. I do wish CLE spent time on teaching kids strategies, however, like making 10s and doubles + 1, etc. We went back to MUS Alpha for this very reason. I like that BJU spends time on this and uses the 10-frames.

I didn't go with BJU early-on because all the parts and the TM were overwhelming to me as a new homeschooler. You have to sort through the bulletin board and classroom information, get familiar with the CD, and get used to the TM format. Now that I have some experience under my belt and know better what I am looking for, BJU makes more sense to me and I feel like I can work with the setup.

Thanks again for your help!

Kathy