Menu

Modg- Mother Of Divine Grace 6th grade

Newhsmommy,

I have the syllabus & this is the first year I did not follow it as written. Here was our break down.

Religion - this is solid using BC 2 & reading Mark & Luke and writing summaries good day to day lesson plan

Poetry- used some of LB's choices & some of our own

Math - has schedule for saxon 6/5 we use MUS

Spelling - finishing up WRTR we were already done with this

Grammar - 2 choices EG or VIE we did VIE. VIE is all oral, son enjoyed did good on exercises but not good on tests...some of this should probably be written to help with retention. Also the student outlines the whole book....I had really hoped this would teach DS how to outline but it required a huge amount of guidance and he would not be able to outline a paragraph. Having the daily schedule was helpful.

Latin - I believe it is 2 choices of doing LCII either in one year or splitting it in half. We did not use DS did FF latin.

History -the study of ancient Egypt....a whole year dedicated to Egypt and extensive mapping of Egypt. I thought this was ridiculous to study Egypt this long and to know more of Egypt's geography than our own geography. We did not do this.

Science - Tops books. Again we skipped I did not want to spend whole year on experiments. We did Swimming Creatures.

Art - seton 7 art. Nice book with pretty paintings. A very few questions in syllabus about paintings. For exmple "from the looks of the cross how do you think Jesus feels carrying it?" I am paraphrasing but it is something like that. You would be better to do art program at www.charlottemasonhelp.com

Music - I have no idea never looked at it.

HTH

Jean

I have this syllabus, but I bought it only to use the Religion breakdown.

Instead of LC II, I'd go right into First Form instead.

The all-year-on-Egypt would bore my kids. (They might put up with a semester of it, however.) I'd pick something else to round out the year (Famous Men of... or Dorothy Mills' "Book of ...") would be good choices, IMO.

If you haven't been using Saxon up to now, I wouldn't switch just because of the MODG plans (and your kid might place into Saxon differently than 6/5).

I've never been one to be able to use someone's entire plan - partly because I have lots of kids so I like to combine, and partly because we're more eclectic around here.

Those would be on the 'con' side. So, on the pro side, it is (mostly) all spelled out on a day-by-day breakdown. The grading rubrics at the front are an interesting read, but I haven't actually been able to use them in real life.

Thank you very much, both made great points! Jean, you were reading my mind exactly!

Was it easy to make your own FF schedule?

Sounds like the syllabus is ok for for a general guide but not to directly follow? My daughter is very multi sensory, I was wondering if the choices would be too dry?

Thank you!!!

Newhsmommy,

Making my own FF assignment was not as easy as I had hoped. Most weeks there are 5 assignments and then the test so that is 6 days worth of work, so certain days you have to double the workbook pages. For example we are on week 23 and will complete lesson 25 then we are on summer break. There are 32 lessons so we will have to finish up in the fall. Just a couple weeks ago I obtained the 7th grade MODG syllabus and it has FF schedule that has been useful albeit was too late for it to be super useful. Also I fell it is a big jump in work level from LCI to FF.

This year I used the syllabus tor religion, VIE & art...in some ways hardly worth it. If you use EG I wouldn't get the syllabus, just follow natural order of BCII and read LUke and Mark.

Ir is hands on for history if you count drawing all the Egypt maps...just not my cup of tea for a year.

HTH

Jean

• 2 weeks later...