Menu

WWE question for 9 yr old new to homeschooling

chaite

Hi everyone,

We are starting homeschooling after this school year is over - my son will be finishing 3rd grade. I'm going to be trying out WWE for both of my kids (I also have a daughter who is 6 and finishing up Kindergarten). Since my son would be entering 4th grade next year, but is new to WWE, where do I start? The book might explain this (I haven't ordered it yet), but any input would be very appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Cortney

We just starting homeschooling this school year after pulling our daughter out of public school in October. A friend said I should start my 8 y.o. third grader in WWE1, but it was too "easy." We did do a few lessons toward the end to get a "feel" for it. But just recently I'm finally addressing writing more (we had other priorities initially), and we're using WWE 2. It seems to be a good "level" for my DD. I know someone mentioned a placement test, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else can chime in with a link? :)

Hi everyone,

We are starting homeschooling after this school year is over - my son will be finishing 3rd grade. I'm going to be trying out WWE for both of my kids (I also have a daughter who is 6 and finishing up Kindergarten). Since my son would be entering 4th grade next year, but is new to WWE, where do I start? The book might explain this (I haven't ordered it yet), but any input would be very appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Cortney

How well does he write? I pulled DS midway through second grade and though he was an advanced reader, his writing skills I considered average for a second grade boy. Even after using dictation sentences as copywork, he could not do the dictations in week 18 of WWE2. We did copywork, oral narrations, and short dictations for several months until he adjusted to my writing expectations. By the time third grade started, he could do WWE3 level work, but I don't expect he would have been at that level without my explicit instruction.

WWE4 narrations are notoriously difficult. I own the workbooks though I don't use them. My children do WWE-style writing across the curriculum. Week 1 has a dictation sentence with 43 words. It would be a tough start to writing for a child not used the high level of memory and mechanics expected from WWE. I highly recommend SWB's writing MP3s as well as her youtube channel (Dictation with Dan is especially relevant). If your son is an average rising 4-th grader from PS, WWE3 would be a good start.

If your dd knows all her letters and can write well, WWE1 would probably be a good start for her.

I think few kids are ready to start in WWE 3 or 4 unless they have been doing narrations and especially dictations quite a bit already. But most older kids won't need all of levels 1 and 2 either.

I think the best thing to do for an older kid is get the text book- The Complete Writer (your library might have it, or a nearby homeschooler) and work through the sample weeks until you get to the right level. It has 4 or 5 weeks for each level in the text.

It is also perfectly fine to go from WWE 3 to WWS 1, and just skip WWE 4.