Menu

If you could start fresh at K, What would you do?

CaneKev

Actually, if I had it to do over again, I would spend more time thinking about what kind of teacher I am, and getting suitable materials. If the materials are ones that I can use effectively, most of the time I can adapt them to the type of learner, or I can look for a compromise: something designed to be used the way I need to use it, as well as meeting my kids' needs.

I spent too much time focusing on trying to figure out what kind of learner a child was, and when I didn't know I defaulted to things that would have worked for me as a learner--rather than really thinking about what I as teacher needed.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Well I am on child #3. I have done things very differently with him than with his sisters. We do Phonics Pathways with lots of easy readers, copywork, memory work (Bible verses), and lots of fun math games or just math throughout life (I use Ray's and MUS Alpha as a spine. But I would not buy them if I did not already have them.). He listens in for history and science, but nothing is required of him. If I just had him I would read lots of picture books. I don't get to do as much of that as I would like, but his sisters read to him quite a bit. Nothing else would be formal, scheduled, or packaged.

I'm about to start my 4th kindergartener....we're going a lot more gently this time around in terms of academics, but a lot harder on developmental stuff. We're doing a lot of the visual perceptual skill building and physical development stuff that I did with #1, but skipped with #2 and #3. Other than that, we're reading lots of fun books, doing a tiny bit of math and handwriting and phonics, and letting her tag along in science, history, and art when she wants to.

Would you mind sharing this: (We're doing a lot of the visual perceptual skill building and physical development stuff that I did with #1)?

• 4 months later...

we are starting the official 'k' year (we are afterschoolers), but in my DS1 'jr k' year, we did SM essentials (would do it again), ETC (may have waited a little) and an ecletic mix of BOB books, HOP, etc.

I am now looking for a solid spelling program -- AAS seems to have great reviews. Just mulling over due to the costs