Menu

Anyone us Confessions of a Homeschooler's K4 curriculum?

A home for their hearts

I used the prek curriculum too. I wanted to like it, but DS got bored with doing the same basic activities over and over again. And I got frustrated having to print, laminate, and prep the same basic activities over and over again. ;)

BUT! If you do decide to get the K4 curriculum, it's a part of a HUGE ebook bundle right now that's only $30. If you're interested.

http://www.raisingarrows.net/2013/04/homemaking-resource/

I used the prek curriculum too. I wanted to like it, but DS got bored with doing the same basic activities over and over again. And I got frustrated having to print, laminate, and prep the same basic activities over and over again. ;)

BUT! If you do decide to get the K4 curriculum, it's a part of a HUGE ebook bundle right now that's only $30. If you're interested.

http://www.raisingar...aking-resource/

I think my dd also tires of doing the same things and I tire of printing and everything you mentioned. Is it the same for the k4 curriculum?

I agree with Gwen about the LOTW curriculum.

I have the K4 curriculum, too and I feel that it's kind of all over the place. Like, there's shape tracing and number magnets, but also vowel combinations?) I felt it was at both the beginning preschool end and the advanced kindergarten end (like with the vowel combinations and place values...but maybe my standards are 'off') but not a whole lot of in between? I bought it as part of a bundle & that's the only way I would go. Definitely spring for the extra $10 and get the bundle Gwen mentioned if you do get it.

There are a lot of different activities, but they are repetitive. I can't really see using it exclusively every day for any period of time. It's nice to be able to pick & choose from, but I don't find myself reaching for it often. Not really worth $20 to me. Plus, she really does offer a ton of freebies...and I think a good amount of them are in K4...you'd just have to download separately. Her writing practice worksheets are some of my favorites.

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2010/09/1-20-writing-practice.html

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2010/08/z-handwriting-worksheets.html

Ugh! I purchased it on a whim because it was cheap ($10) and thought, well, if we needed more practice than what our regular curriculum had it could be usefull for my k'er or I could do some print out with my preschooler. Well, a year later and have never used it once! I just scrolled through some of it right now, and it's very repetitive and boring. It's basically like she changed the image on the work sheet and letter but every thing is a repeat. The only thing I might use because my kids like dot art and now that I'm reminded that I have it, I might print out the dot art letters for fun, but, not really much good to say about it. I would really just go ahead and go with a big fat preschool workbook if I were you, because it's really not much of a curriculum. There are a lot better options out there for preschool as far as I am concerned.

I use TONS of free printables from her site, including many that are the free ones from K4. My kids really enjoy them. My twins are doing K right now, but my daughter can not get enough. She wants more, more, more and I run out. So, I use her site to supplement what we use. My kids love worksheets. I print out a ton of them every week and put them in the back of their notebooks as "extras." Though, I can't put them all in at once or my daughter will do them all in one day and be begging for more the next. LOL!!

But, I wouldn't want to use it as my core.

I agree, I like the handwriting practice pages a lot. I give my kids the same ones over and over. They don't care. They are getting good handwriting practice with those. :)

I haven't used it yet, but I have it all ready to go - - > but only the Calendar Notebook for Pre-K. I think my second ds will enjoy them, perhaps on a weekly basis or something. The letter of the week thing looked too repetitive, as the pp's are saying.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jenny_K

I used it last year, and it was pretty repetitive as previous posters have stated, but it did thoroughly cover those basic skills. However, my little guy was pretty bored with it by the end of the year. I did not print out the whole curriculum though. I mainly only printed out the least color intensive pages like the poke pages, the playdough page, etc. Printing out the whole thing would have cost us quite a bit in printer ink. I am reusing certain elements this year for his k4 year and also using some things from her K4 curriculum. We're using the 2 letter blend ladders and the find the letter pages along with some other things we are doing this year.

I have to say I liked her LOTW curriculum better than her K4 curriculum. The LOTW curriculum seemed a little more organized, while the K4 curriculum seemed all over the place like another poster stated. Overall though, for $10, it is a good value.