Menu

more math BJU

MrsMe

I'm trying to make a decision for math next year. As we get into more difficult topics I see a need for less spiral since dd (and mom) is getting confused. I'm looking at BJU because I could have the DVD option, but in general, what ways does BJU promote critical thinking and how does it compare to other programs like Singapore and CLE in this area? How do BJU word problems compare to CLE and Singapore?

• 3 weeks later...

You know I've used quite a few levels of the BJU math and a reasonable amount of their other stuff, but I am so NOT up on these terms like critical thinking. What you really ought to do is give one of the reps a call. They have the BJUP 1800 number or talk with one of the reps at the convention. I gab with one on occasion, and I know she has mentioned that phrase. They'll have an answer, because it's definitely in there.

As far as word problems, they're going to be a bit different from Singapore, but they're really astounding in a different way. I'm using the upper level math and science right now, and they carry the math over into the labs. The math in the main text has what they call Dominion Math, which has the goal of giving real world application to word problems. In the pre-algebra, you've got these really sophisticated, multi-step problems where you're looking at flow rates through pipes and this and that... So to me, the level of sophistication and challenge is pretty amazing. I use TT with my dd as a base (for the spiral, because it gets done) and then I come in with BJU for the C level problems and Dominion Math. We've been doing that for a year now, and it has been a really great combo. My SIL uses the dvds and is very pleased with them too. I also really like the extra activities book they sell to go with the upper levels.

You can see extensive samples of all the materials at the bjupresshomeschool website and cbd. Sorry I don't have a really great answer on the critical thinking thing. I'm not sure precisely what it is people are looking for when they say that. The press website has full chapter samples of the tm as well as the texts, so I think you'll see it in there if you know what you're looking for.

Coming from CLE I'm seeing a lot more I like with BJU. It's definitely full of why's whereas CLE is really decreasing the why and become really algorithmic. I've spent a lot of time in CLE 5 knowing how to do something but haven't a clue why. It's sort of like they dropped that aspect. Taught it once and just assumed you know it, but they're not building on it. BJU is showing multiple ways of doing and thinking and I really like that. In addition they're building on the visuals, not dropping them. However, coming from CLE 5 and going to BJU 5, the word problems don't appear to be as difficult. So, knowing Singapore has some great word problems, I used it for comparison. DD is really horrible on those and I'm not sure if it's readiness or CLE. You were really helpful in your answer. Thanks OhElizabeth!

Lilac, there's always that give and take. If you like SM CWP, bring that in during the summer, kwim? We used those and also the Math Olympiad materials you can buy from the AOPS people. There's always something more. In a couple years, throw in HOE too. :)

I have not used the other math programs you mentioned but I have used BJU for 20 yrs. BJU does not have extensive word problems but they do teach how word problems are to be solved. We just finished up the 3rd grade level and every chapter has a lesson dedicated to solving word problems (They might word it differently depending on the focus, but the lesson is on word problems). The daily lessons will have oral word problems given as well as encourage the student to make up their own, I feel this is important. You need to have some understanding of the how and why of the math you are working on to formulate a word problem. As you move up in grades the word problems and critical thinking skills become intertwined and heading into the 7th grade and up curriculum you have more complex word problems.

I see the daily lessons have word problems which I find helpful, because they're seeing the wording that would be used for solving what we're working on, whether it be mult/add/div/sub. That I did notice. I certainly agree that you need to understand the how and why to forumulate as well. I had moved from BJU to CLE for ease of use and price and I find myself going back and seeing all that we missed. A good example of staying the course. Down the Rabbit Hole, how far did you use BJU? Or anyone. I'm wondering if I'll have a problem teaching BJU 6. I'd like to stay off using a DVD if possible. I also heard the new 7th is starting to teach more to the kids, kid friendly. Anyone know?

My friend was showing me her copy of the new edition BJU math 6 (I used old), and no I don't think you'll have a problem teaching it. Even the math 7 shouldn't be a problem. Be brave. The tms from 7 up are pretty scant (answers, basic tips) but through 6 you have awesome helps. You'll have no trouble teaching it. :)

My friend was showing me her copy of the new edition BJU math 6 (I used old), and no I don't think you'll have a problem teaching it. Even the math 7 shouldn't be a problem. Be brave. The tms from 7 up are pretty scant (answers, basic tips) but through 6 you have awesome helps. You'll have no trouble teaching it. :)

LOL OhElizabeth. I'm not particularily mathy. But I'll give it my best shot. Are the 7 TM's scant because it's taught to the student? That's what I heard anyway.

I'm not sure what your source was referring to. BJU makes the assumption in all their materials, all the way through, that the teacher is INTEGRAL to the process. They do want the student to learn to read a text, learn to take notes, etc., but there's never an assumption that the student will pick up the material and learn it exclusively by himself. What you MAY be remembering is a shift in how the *video* lessons are being done. Several years ago they made the shift from the Homesat (interactive class) to one on one. Now what they're doing is recording them with shorter lessons and more interactive breaks, trying to make the lessons work better for kids with attention issues, etc. You put a kid with attention issues in front of a 40 min. video, and they can totally glaze out. So yes they're changing those, shortening, getting it more active, etc.

I took the change in the math tms to represent their stepping up at junior high. ALL the materials step up at that point. They ditch cartoons, multiple choice, little stories, that sort of thing, and just have this big step forward. Now it's going to be less of a step with the new gr 6 editions, because they're updating the elementary to feed better. But still, I think it's a developmental thing they're trying to be in sync with.

Your math is going to improve as you work with your student and teach her. Don't be afraid. I knew a mom who was a high school dropout who taught her kids all the way through calculus, just by staying one step ahead. Go for it and see how far you get. If you hit a wall at some point, maybe you get the videos then and watch 'em together. :)

I thought I heard it here or it could have been the BJU yahoo site that 7 was teaching to the student, although not that mom was not integral, just that it did a better job teaching to the student. I will say shorter lessons are good if I have to go the route of BJU DVD's, but I'd really like to try not to. I can't imagine sitting there either for that long, listening, then having to do the work. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Grade 7 and up is geared more toward student learning where as K-6th the program is teacher intensive.

In answer to your question a few posts up. I have used BJU up through Algebra 1. The older editions of Geometry, Algebra 2, and Pre Cal did not communicate how to do the lessons very well. However, I know they are working on new editions of these and if they follow how they have done the new editions so far then this problem will be fixed. I am looking forward to using BJU through pre cal for my dd, I am sure the new editions will be complete by the time she needs them.