Menu

Biology for 3rd grade

bethben

I'm looking for a biology program for 3rd grade. I would like it to be heavy on the experiments and not too expensive. I like the WTM outline, but I think it may be a little young for a 3rd grader? I would like a Christian based program, but all of them seem too simplistic (I'm thinking CKE biology). Any suggestions?

Beth

Have you looked at the schedules from easyclassical.com? They are based on WTM lists.

I haven't done the Biology one (we are just starting Chem), but they are supposed to be from 1-6 grade and some of the books are definately christian. The Chem one has lots of hands on.

Have you considered the Apologia series?

I know they have the high school ones, but there is also the Young Explorers series (elementary level) with Astronomy, Botany, Swimming Creatures, Flying Creatures, and Zoology. They are heavy on the experiments, come from a Christian perspective, and you can get the books new for around $30.

Just a thought :001_smile:

Yes- I've heard of Apologia for Elementary, but I'm leaning in a direction that gives an overview of different sciences instead of focusing on one particular subject. I like the WTM outline of rotating between life sciences, chemistry, physics and whatever else I can't seem to remember right now.

Beth

I bought Christian Kids Explore Biology for my 10YO -but it is listed as being written for grades three- six (and can be easily adapted for a little younger or older) . I really like the looks of it (the 30 minutes I spent flipping through -I have not actually used it yet.

Here is a link for a look at it:

http://www.timberdoodle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=968

Whoops- guess I did not read your post thoroughly the first time -CKEB might be a little simplistic- but I like something I can make my own -It could be used as more of an outline and add in more where you feel necessary. Apologia’s HS Biology course will definitely fill in any gaps for my DS he misses this time around.