Menu

new homeschool mom

Guest 123beckly

Guest 123beckly

I've decided to homeschool my 6th&7th grader this year and am swimming in information from different curriculum. I want to make this first experience fun and rewarding and I can't afford to make any mistakes. My kids are mostly visual learners. My 6th grader is not strong in literacy but is exceptional in art and science. My son on the other hand is a very strong reader and excels in nearly every subject, until this past year however. I think this is due to the mainstream line of teaching at the middle school level. He finds every subject boring and as a result is getting inferior grades. I would like an interactive curriculum but not too teacher intensive since I also have a 4yr old, 14mo. and one due in July. Has anyone heard of timber doodle core curriculum. It got excellent reviews and is sold as a kit, leaving out any guesswork. Again I can't afford to make any mistakes so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome, Becky!

I have heard of Timber Doodle (always drool over their catalog!). When I started homeschooling, they didn't have the kits, but I've purchased and enjoyed individual items from them. I do think it's worth considering for hands-on learners. We've used a mixture of things. Some of my favorites are: Sonlight (have really enjoyed their literature and reader selections, you might consider all or part for your one that loves reading), Essentials in Writing (short video segments, good for visual learners), Math-U-See (visual and hands on), Mystery of History (has hands on projects to do if you want, plus mapping, timeline suggestions etc...), and All About Spelling (visual, auditory, and kinesthetic--your boys would be beyond this unless they are struggling spellers). I don't know if there's any curriculum that's a "perfect" fit, but there are lots of excellent ones out there, and I hope you have a great year with whatever you end up choosing.

Merry :-)

I would recommend reading The Well Trained Mind before you began. Not just because of this board but also because so many of my real life friends have found their path for home ed there -- none do the same things but our inspiration started there.;)

I no longer live in the US but have very fond memories of Timberdoodle. Great stuff. Never bought a package.

I would also ask for a Rainbow Resource Catalog. Great way to see what is out there. Huge -- 1400 plus pages and fair prices. A good point to start.

Welcome! :grouphug:

As well as a Rainbow Resource catalog, also get a Christian Book Distributors catalog. I also frequently purchase from Amazon.com and Exodus Books. I haven't purchased from Timberdoodle since the late 90s, but they are good.

When are you starting? September? if you are not starting till September, I strongly suggest reading some homeschooling books before purchasing anything. You can get a lot of good books at the library.

I like The Well Trained Mind first edition better than the second or third. The picture at the link is the 2nd edition book, but the ISBN# is for the 1st edition; be careful when ordering. The 3rd edition is most current but the 1st edition has more general instructions that can be applied to almost any book.

Teenaged Liberation Handbook

No Regrets

Can you tell us more about YOU. Yes, meeting the needs of students is important, but I think it's more important to meet the needs of the teacher.

I'll bet your head is swimming! I started homeschooling a 5th grader back in the mid 90s, and honestly it was easier back then, even though there were much fewer resources. Start with math and then pick something for writing or grammar. Don't pick the best; pick something you know you can do and that is good enough for now. Then just let the kids read and watch documentaries while you get your feet wet.

Guest 123beckly

I really appreciate everyone's input. I have been reading the well trained mind 1st addition and know there's no perfect solution. I guess I am just a little overwhelmed with the prospect of piecing together a whole curriculum with a baby on the way and two small children that vie for so much of my attention. I was a pre-k teacher for a short time but have no experience with middle school grades. I guess when I saw the timber doodle kits I was hoping it would be an interactive and innovative program that could walk me through step by step. I do not want a traditional method to teaching however, so I was just looking for feed back from anyone who may have used mainly there math and history program. They also incorporate easy grammar, is that any good?

You tempted me to go and have a look at the Timberdoodle website. It does look tempting and schedules really help especially the first year! With littles and a new baby you will need them! I wasn't sure exactly which years you are planning on. Both in one grade or two separate bundles. The only things we have specifically used are some of the building thinking skills products which were great. I would search threads for peoples opinions on TT(teaching textbooks) and the rest.

I will add my ds would love that curriculum. I feel like I should order it for him!

Guest 123beckly

I would love to see the Timberdoodle curriculum first hand before purchasing the kits at a salty $600 per grade level. What really floored me was that my kinder kit would be the most pricey at $650, as opposed to my 6th and 7th graders. You can buy cheaper packages but the fun interactive stuff comes in the deluxe of course. I am also catholic so I worry about how the history of the church might be portrayed. Again the reviews I've read from several different sites have all been great. Thanks for your advice.