Menu

Adventures in America question

ondreeuh

I purchased the ebook version and would like to do it with my youngest for his K year. I have a lot of other stuff I want to do, though, and want to skip the Read Alouds as we'll be doing those a few years later. Would that take too much out of the program? Would you advise adding more picture books & more meaty readers? The readers scheduled in the program are mostly I Can Read It level 2, which is where my son is now, so he could do harder readers in the fall ... or he could read the picture books to me. I'm just afraid that without the RAs, the program will be too light and he won't get enough out of it to justify the effort. There's that fine balance between not enough & too much ...

I'm using it with a little older student than what it's recommended for (and she is really enjoying it). I read the 1 page stories in the teachers book and then we often pull off our shelves other books about that person or event (Mayflower, Daniel Boone, Pocahontas, etc). The only other books we are using with it is the recommended Smart About the 50 States, an older book I already had called The Young Peoples Atlas of the United States (we don't read everything on the page of this book....just look at the pictures and talk about what we want to talk about), and a state maze book. We have state stickers (state name, abbreviation, capital name, flower, bird, flag) that we use on the state map pages. We put a star sticker where the capital is.

• 1 month later...