Menu

Can't decide if I need more Language Arts for my sixth grader

As the title says, I can't decide if I need more LA for DD for next year or not. Part of me thinks what we have is plenty, and part of me thinks it can't possibly be enough.

We have a typing program, and she uses a word processor. She gets plenty of literature, either reading on her own, or as read alouds/audio books. We'll probably do at least one poetry study sometime in the year too, and I'll assign some non-fiction as well. For writing, she'll be working through WWS1. She does do some free writing but isn't super big into writing; I think WWS1 will be enough in terms of composition for her. I'll have her write paragraphs about science, history, art, etc. occasionally, and I'll target spelling or grammar mistakes as they appear. Latin's her favorite subject, so that hits grammar as well. We'll do memory work as well.

My gut reaction is that her spelling is pretty decent and will be best corrected on an as-needed basis. Her understanding of grammar and punctuation is good too, though we'll do a little work on diagramming sentences, because I think she'll enjoy that. I had planned to have her do some specific worksheety stuff on language mechanics, spelling, and vocabulary, but then she completely aced her standardized tests in those areas, so I'm kind of left going, "What's the point? She's obviously progressing in those areas just fine."

So I kind of can't decide if I need something else or not. My friend recommended Queen Homeschool, and I liked the looks of their LA books, but I think they're redundant with WWS1 (and we don't need the picture study part). So if I need something else, what, that isn't redundant nor busy work? Maybe poetry copywork a few days a week, both for the poetry exposure and for the handwriting practice? Maybe some great speeches or other famous/inspiring quotes in there too?

That is pretty similar to what we did. WWS, CW poetry, typing, lots of reading, foriegn languages. We did add in a formal grammar and a formal vocab, but if you are okay with it I don't think it is necessary.

We did use a few extras that I though were worth the time.

Figurativly Speaking (lit terms)

Sentance Composing

Reading out loud (from McGruffy Readers)

Memory work

That is pretty similar to what we did. WWS, CW poetry, typing, lots of reading, foriegn languages. We did add in a formal grammar and a formal vocab, but if you are okay with it I don't think it is necessary.

We did use a few extras that I though were worth the time.

Figurativly Speaking (lit terms)

Sentance Composing

Reading out loud (from McGruffy Readers)

Memory work

We do do memory work, and she reads out loud to the little ones pretty often, so I think we have those covered. Figuratively Speaking, though -- that might be a good thing. She would probably really enjoy that. Is this the book you meant? http://www.amazon.com/Figuratively-Speaking-Gr-Learning-Works/dp/0881603171 Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I was helpful. We have just finished it, and while I don't often read the books the boys are reading (or at least not recently enough that I can remember the similes or symbols in them), we do listen to books on CD in the car quite often. I have found those audio books a good time for us to discus some of the topics we learn about in Figuratively Speaking.