Menu

Phonics after OPGTR?

IHaveNoIdeawhatIAmDoing

I think you can do both simultaneously, depending on the age of your child. Folks mention AAS (All About Spelling) a lot. My 3.7 y.o. is about 1/2 way through OPGTR, and I throw in some spelling questions to her where I'm doing the writing, or she's using manipulatives, but I don't often have her do the writing. She's capable of writing well, just not much stamina and I don't want it to be arduous. In my recent question on this topic, folks generally recommended waiting until 5 to start AAS, even on the accelerated learner board.

FYI, she's WAY ahead in her reading skills compared to her spelling skills. For instance, the other day she wanted to write flamingo with her moveable alphabet and without my guidance it would have turned out 'flmngo'. But spelling CVC words are a piece of cake for her. Eh, I think I'm mostly going to concentrate on reading right now, as she will start absorbing correct spelling rules more with exposure I think. I don't need to lecture a 3 yr old about when to start a word with c vs. k -too- much :) If her mistakes start bothering her, we'll focus on spelling more, but so far she's happy-go-lucky about it.