Menu

Knitter- help please! Mobius knitting.

Firefly

Anyone ever knit a mobius cowl/scarf? I'm having trouble. I've watched the Cat Bordhi video and don't have a problem with the cast on per se; but, once you finish the first full round and get to the part where you slip the stitch marker, it looks like the stitches I'm about to knit are suddenly knit stiches, whereas my first row after the cast on were purls. Is that correct? Will each row of straight knitting give me alternating rows of knits and purls?

Help!

I haven't done it (accidentally at the start of a top-down sock doesn't count), but thinking about a paper mobius it does kind of make sense that you would get alternate rows of knits and purls. I say do two more rows then stand back and look it over. OR do a youtube search...

Thanks guys. I've been searching like mad but all I can find is how to do the actual cast on, not what to expect as you continue knitting. I've emailed the author of the pattern but she hasn't responded.

In the meantime I think I will continue knitting a few more rows and see what happens. It's just that it's almost 400 stitiches, and a real PIA to rip out, which I've done twice already. Gah!

Thanks guys. I've been searching like mad but all I can find is how to do the actual cast on, not what to expect as you continue knitting. I've emailed the author of the pattern but she hasn't responded.

In the meantime I think I will continue knitting a few more rows and see what happens. It's just that it's almost 400 stitiches, and a real PIA to rip out, which I've done twice already. Gah!

You could try a mini one, with 16-20 stitches in worsted-weight yarn, and see how that works out over several rows. That way, you don't have to do 400 x a few rows not knowing if you'll have to frog it.

I knit one many years ago, when I first saw Cat Bordhi on Knitty Gritty when it was on DIY Network. If I remember right, you will get one loop around of knit looking stitches and one loop around of purl looking stitches. Once it is all finished, and you spread it out, you will see stockinette joined in the center to garter.

You could try a mini one, with 16-20 stitches in worsted-weight yarn, and see how that works out over several rows. That way, you don't have to do 400 x a few rows not knowing if you'll have to frog it.

Great suggestion! I did just that with some super bulky yarn (so I didn't have to cast on that many stitches) and sure enough, once you get past that first round, as long as you are doing straight knitting you will keep being fed knit stitches to work into. Thanks, you saved me from having to rip out a third time!

And many thanks to all who offered help. Much appreciated, Ladies!

Kelli