Menu

Looking for Guidance - 10th Grade Plans

I am a homeschool Dad, and have the blessing of having been very involved in my children's homeschool experience. Unfortunately, this year I am seeing very low motivation and interest from my children. I have spoken with my two 9th graders, and they explained that their favorite two courses are Apologia Biology and Apologia Algebra 2. Clearly they enjoy "textbook" style subjects. With this in mind, I am looking for some advice and suggestions for 10th grade next year - I really want this to get more interesting for both of them. Both will continue with Apologia and Saxon next year, but I will need to fill the other subjects:

What we will be looking for ("textbookish"):

World History

Literature

Writing/Vocab

What did not work for us this year:

Stobaugh History and Literature

Writing Strands

One last thing. I have been desperately looking for something good for my highschoolers for Bible/Worldview. They have never had a formal study, and I am seeing signs of doubt/questioning.

Thanks to everyone that replies in advance.

World history - take a look at World History: The Human Odyssey by Spielvogel. I found it more interesting than most history textbooks.

Writing - if your students like straightforward no-nonsense programs, look at Format Writing by Frode Jensen. Worked much much better for us than Writing Strands.

Literature - not exactly a textbook but since you are trying to add fun back into things, review Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings. I think it would be a blast with two students going through it together. There are several old threads about this program if you do a search.

Also, keep in mind that questions and doubts are normal for this age.

I think the suggestion for Jensen's vocab and writing would be a great fit. One of my students favors textbooks as well. It makes sense as she was brick and mortar schooled midway through grade 6. We used "Streams of Civilization" (vol 1 and 2) with tests from Christian Liberty Press as a light world history this year. I've got two STEM oriented kids so I've purposely kept history on the lighter side.

If you're looking for a Lit study that would help with Bible/Apologetics I'd heartily recommend "Starting Points". It would be time well spent for all of you. Spiritually it's by far the best investment I've made with my older ones. It's more than adequate for a credit in Bible and in Literature, especially if you're doing a bit of vocab/writing on the side. I skipped over the last section on History as I didn't feel it was meaty enough for a credit.

You've really gotten some great recommendations. I'm looking at the same subjects myself for my dd, who will be in 10th next year. A few other considerations for history... BJU world history--Christian worldview & if you use the student activity book, it will incorporate a good bit of Bible. I'm also looking at The Classical Historian. It covers modern world history, but I really like the Take A Stand workbook that goes along with the textbook. It teaches how to use primary sources, write essays, cite research, etc. Here's the link where you can view samples: http://www.classicalhistorian.com/. HTH, Jennifer

You've really gotten some great recommendations. I'm looking at the same subjects myself for my dd, who will be in 10th next year. A few other considerations for history... BJU world history--Christian worldview & if you use the student activity book, it will incorporate a good bit of Bible. I'm also looking at The Classical Historian. It covers modern world history, but I really like the Take A Stand workbook that goes along with the textbook. It teaches how to use primary sources, write essays, cite research, etc. Here's the link where you can view samples: http://www.classicalhistorian.com/. HTH, Jennifer

Thank you. We are looking to BJU for History and Literature next year. Both programs seem to be textbook style with a good deal of Ble integration. I have always avoided the complete curriculum companies, but ot seems that might be a good fit for my children.

I am a homeschool Dad, and have the blessing of having been very involved in my children's homeschool experience. Unfortunately, this year I am seeing very low motivation and interest from my children. I have spoken with my two 9th graders, and they explained that their favorite two courses are Apologia Biology and Apologia Algebra 2. Clearly they enjoy "textbook" style subjects. With this in mind, I am looking for some advice and suggestions for 10th grade next year - I really want this to get more interesting for both of them. Both will continue with Apologia and Saxon next year, but I will need to fill the other subjects:

What we will be looking for ("textbookish"):

World History

Literature

Writing/Vocab

What did not work for us this year:

Stobaugh History and Literature

Writing Strands

One last thing. I have been desperately looking for something good for my highschoolers for Bible/Worldview. They have never had a formal study, and I am seeing signs of doubt/questioning.

Thanks to everyone that replies in advance.

If you can describe what didn't work with Stobaugh it might help you identify what you do want.

We have been using Spielvogel's Western Civilization for history, though that might not be global enough for world history. Western Heritage by Kagan and Ozmet is another similar book.

Foolishness to the Greeks is a goog worldview book. You might also consider a catechism.