Menu

Conceputal Math to go with Teaching Textbooks 7

My daughter has been doing Teaching Textbooks 7 this year in 7th grade. For the most part it has been a good fit for her. I do have some concerns that she is learning the how and not the why of math. I would like to add something that explains the why. I have tried Math Mammoth and she strongly dislikes it. I have Key to Fractions, but that isn't really what I want. It is more practice, but it doesn't explain the why. What else would be good for a review of fractions and decimals? Singapore? If so what levels.

Janet

Janet,

Unless your daughter has done some of Singapore in the past, it may be quite a challenge (more than you are looking for) to jump in after, say, Level 4. I actually think that would be a worthwhile supplement to TT but I don't know that it would accomplish what you are hoping to. I will tell you that after we finished Singapore 6a, my daughter placed in TT Pre-Algebra 2.0. She strongly disliked TT so we are back to the drawing board. It seems we have the problem in reverse (curriculum-wise). Singapore doesn't really give much guidance behind the why's ...it sort of wants the kids to figure it out. I'm sure others can discuss this with more academic accuracy than I but I think Singapore is weak in really "teaching" and strong in the "figure it out logically". My dd thought TT was too rule oriented after leaving Singapore which is why we are struggling for a good fit now. :) I'd love to hear the other responses to this! Hoping you get some.