Menu

"summer school" - ideas, workbooks, websites....

SeeSchells

We don't do a full days work during the summer, but I like my kids doing something so they don't lose what we have worked on all year. Any ideas for websites, workbooks etc for us to use. My brain is just not functioning anymore ;) I have a 4th and 1st grader. I plan to read aloud every day to fill in the gaps in our American history. But I would like to keep them reading, and doing math. Suggestions?

I have my kids read 2,000 pages over the summer and pay them a reward when they complete it. This summer the reading will include This Country of Ours (American history) and Our Island Story (British history) both by Marshall. That will cover about 1,300 pages. I am thinking also of having my kids write 3 (or maybe more) paragraphs about something they learned in the books. That could cover writing and cursive practice. In addition, I usually buy a Singapore workbook for math review. This year, I am also having my kids work through R&S Spelling because they need extra practice with that. The writing part will take less than an hour per day usually, and the reading will be additional time, typically in the afternoon when it is too hot to go outside.

I school till the end of June so our main summer break is July and August. I just keep expecting math to be done daily. And i continue to read aloud (history as well) and I also do some informal science type activities. Those science units on bugs and plants etc work so much better in the summer rather than fall. But I let up on sit down workbook type lessons.

ETA; http://www.summerskills.com/

I did look into these, but I haven't any exp. irl with them. A bit pricey for a summer workbook.