Menu

Spanish help?

DS12 (and DS9) have been doing introductory Spanish online with Discovery Education, but I would like to have DS12 begin something more formal, along the lines of an upper middle school Spanish course. My ideal curriculum would cover speaking, vocabulary, and grammar (e.g., conjugating verbs). An audio component along with a workbook would be good for him. Something too cutesy would not (because he is Almost a Teenager, as I am reminded).

What has worked for you?

DS12 (and DS9) have been doing introductory Spanish online with Discovery Education, but I would like to have DS12 begin something more formal, along the lines of an upper middle school Spanish course. My ideal curriculum would cover speaking, vocabulary, and grammar (e.g., conjugating verbs). An audio component along with a workbook would be good for him. Something too cutesy would not (because he is Almost a Teenager, as I am reminded).

What has worked for you?

My son is using So You Really Want to Learn Spanish? and I really like it. It seems to be very straightforward and has an audio cd.

I second Getting Started with Spanish. If that seems too basic for your DS, since he's already had some Spanish, you might also look at Visual Link Spanish (linked in my signature). We moved from GSWS to VL, and my DS absolutely loves VL and is learning so much from it. You can try VL for free also.