Menu

Talk to Me About Pre-K programs....

Ameena

Going to be hsing a friends dd for pre-k, and I have no clue what to use. The little girl is turning 5 in November, but is delayed. She will be getting an evaluation tomorrow to see what exactly is going on, and the dad has promised to give me a copy so I can see what we are dealing with. I know she has some motor skills delay and speech delay for sure, and I suspect Aspergers as well. FYI the family is Messianic Jewish, and would really like something that reflected that if it exists. I'd like something that isn't 100% bible based so I can stand to use it.

I don't have a clue what to use. With my dd we skipped pre-k entirely, and mostly unschooled for Kinder. We're using SL now and will be in Core C this fall, so my friends dd will be hearing the read alouds for SL Core C in addition to whatever she is using.

What would you use? Sonlight? Timberdoodle? Something else? The family is paying for all materials plus a fee to me for doing it.

I would use a phonics and math program because that's what I do :). This is my son's pre-k year and we used PAL for reading/handwriting, BOB books, Miquon math, and Singapore Earlybird. I read a lot of stories and he reads to me everyday. We do some small craft stuff to work on fine motor skills. He is ready for mor so we we ramping it up soon, but a bit of playful math, gentle phonics, fine motor work and lots of reading would be plenty.

There are several letter of the week programs but I'm not convinced that really builds literacy. If the girl is a bit delayed then I would look at AAR pre-level 1 (primer?). And Cuisenaire rods, Education Unboxed lessons, and/or Miquon would be a great way to do math. I wouldn't do Sonlight as their preschool levels are just books. Peak with Books or FIAR might be fun, or that other similar guide that someone linked earlier on this forum.

I just recently started my daughter (4.5 yrs) on AAR -pre after mostly finishing MP junior K (which overall I like for a packaged option). she honestly knows her letters but has a really hard time with phonemic awareness. also, she may be aspergers too (some signs but not diagnosable yet per recent eval). she adores the silly zebra! and will happily do her other work if Ziggy teaches it or at least visits with her while she does it. we're still going to finish up our MP work too.

re bible based, the biblish parts of MP can be taken out pretty easily. even the rod and staff books used for the math in the package are mostly numbers and nature. the bible pages can easily be skipped.

I've really liked looking at the hands on things from timberdoodle too. I don't think I'd buy a whole grade level package but great stuff! really good options here for fine motor skills. If she needs help with gross motor skills, I assume her evaluator or OT/PT would be helpful for direction. I also recently purchased family time fitness to help me get more purposeful in this area (she gets OT for sensory integration and low tone). it may be a good option for her depending on what she needs and how comfortable you are getting things done.

many people consider the Singapore essentials or early bird books (at least book A) to be pre-k level so that could be a good option. I'm getting ready to start math in focus K which seems to be a little stronger than essentials or early bird (at least their A books) but it is more expensive. I like the hands on and visual nature since my daughter has a hard time with auditory processing (and slow processing in general) .

especially with a language problem , make sure to read, a lot! she may not be able to take a lot at a time but just spread it out. I like the sonlight packages for their reading. maybe even the 3/4 package would be good with the nursery rhymes and fairy tales. I'm not with it enough to have done the FIAR stuff but they are at least good reading lists.

if she needs help with handwriting, besides just improving fine motor skills with beading, play dough, chalk, etc, you could check out handwriting without tears (HWT) or fundanoodle (option I'm seriously considering). I've also liked the MP alphabet books for tracing/practicing letter formation once she was willing and able to use a pencil.

hope something in here is helpful. the eval should be very helpful in picking things out to use her strengths and support her needs.