Menu

Question about beginning logic workbooks with my 5th grader

mama2hdas

Would anyone be willing to share how you "do logic" with your 5th grader? My oldest will be in 5th grade next year, so I am trying to figure it out. I have the mind bender books and the red herring books. As I read through the logic stage in WTM again, it is suggested to take 3 hours a week for this. Am I missing something? Are the puzzles really difficult? Does it take 3 hours a week to complete all this?

Check out this thread on the same topic: Does anyone do 3 hours Logic/week in the logic stage? (You might also find this thread interesting: Logic. In it, several families describe their goals for doing Logic in grades 5-8.)

No 3 hours/week here -- more like 10-15 min/day, 3-4 days/week.

When we went through the Red Herrings books, we did 1 or 2 puzzles aloud together and took about 10-15 minutes. We found the Red Herrings to be slightly frustrating, as we often thought our own out-of-the box solutions were better than the solution given in the book, but that is probably because the book is designed for classroom use, in which the students ask questions to bring out the missing bit of information that helps them solve the puzzle. But because that method would have meant it was me knowing the answer and our 2 DSs asking formal questions, that seemed to stilted to us, so we brainstormed answers, and then read the solution.

We did a few of those grid logic type puzzles (which is what Mindbenders is), but preferred including them in a much wider variety of puzzles and resources in order to develop a wider variety of logic and critical thinking skills. (Even when we did use the Mindbenders, I had DSs do just a "bite" of time a day, several days a week.)

BEST of luck in your Logic adventures! Warmest regards, Lori D.

DD (5th grade this year) did the CryptoMindBenders book this year. It didn't take three hours a week, and that might have been a good goal, but it wasn't really realistic for us. All I really wanted was to stretch her brain a little in a different way, so I had her do one a week.

Next year, we're stepping up to Art of Argument, and I think that will require a slightly different type of logical thinking.

We've done Mindbenders and Logic Liftoff this year for 4th, and have just ventured into Balance Benders from CTC. Next year for 5th, we will do more of the same: Orbiting with Logic, and the next levels of Mindbenders and Balance Benders. We may, later in the year, add in something like Fallacy Detective, then follow up with Art of Argument in 6th.