Menu

Reccomendations needed for public domain books for PreK-1st

Guest homeschoolgal

Guest homeschoolgal

Hi all. First time poster here looking for some answers. I'm new to homeschooling (sort of- we tried online public school and it's just not working out for us), and in the middle of planning my curriculum for next year. I'm using Accelerated Achievement/Robinson/Old-Fashioned Education to make my booklist. I really like the classical style where kids can get their subject knowledge through literature. I'm also trying to go by my state's standards and cover all required topics for this school year. I am getting stuck on history though. I've found a ton of public domain books from archive.org and google.books to download/print on everything from Columbus' discovery of the New World to the Revolutionary war, and that's where we'll end... but I'm still in need of a Public Domain book that is a primary level that will cover Ancient Egypt, and Inca/Maya/Aztec civilizations. My DD has successfully completed McGuffey's Primer, and so she can read, but is still at a beginner level. I am trying to find something easy to understand so that she can either figure it out on her own, or she can easily understand if it is read aloud. It'd be nice if my Pre-K DD could listen in and comprehend as well. Any suggestions?

Are you near a public library at all? You may not find a lot at that reading level in the public domain because of the fact that in the old schools they would have used readers to teach general history in the primary grades. However, there are plenty of wonderful picture books available at most public libraries.

ETA: If you're a Christian, you could use the A Child's Book about Moses in your study of Ancient Egypt. Though it doesn't cover the history of Ancient Egypt, Highroads of Geography does contains a section about Egypt which you may find useful. Here is also Stories About Egypt Written for Children which appears to be a more difficult text, but the sections are short. Peeps at Many Lands: Ancient Egypt is more advanced, but is available as an audiobook.

ETA: I have been digging and I haven't found much on Aztecs, Incas, and Mayans in the public domain for beginning readers. I did find A Primary History which contains a section on Cortez and Pizarro, the conquistadors who encountered the Aztecs and Incas.

Have you looked at Ambleside Online? It sounds like it would be really helpful in your planning... so many free resources and education through accelerated, classic literature. Also, Librivox has free audio recordings of a ton of great lit. Perhaps if you can't find a print download, your daughter could listen to the stories and narrate them back to you.