Menu

Lials college math info

Margaret Lial's Basic College Math is not a 'college level' text. It is a basic (mid to low level) Pre-Algebra text written for use in college remedial math classes. The majority of the text has a focus on fractions, decimals and percents. The LAST chapter has negative numbers and very basic equation solving with one variable.

BCM worked great for my non-math dd (started half way through her 8th grade year after she bombed with Saxon 87). BCM is set up for block scheduling so one lesson is worked over 2 days. The lessons can be broken down even further if needed as homework is organized by lesson example. Odd problems are typically assigned.

For most problems (since they are usually 1 step) the text can be used as a workbook. I had my dd write in a separate notebook but that is just my preference. Because of this make sure any text you purchase does not have writing inside! Answers are in the back of the text.

Since the majority of problems are 1 step at this level the 'solutions manual' is completely unnecessary. Student text is all that is needed. Instructor edition is same as student edition but has odd and even answers marked next to the problems.

I use BCM with my 'first level' Pre-Algebra students. I have a wide age range -- youngest is 5th grade and oldest is 9th (I've even had older students). For the younger students, especially, I recommend moving on to Lial's Pre-Algebra wich is a great bridge book between middle school level math and Algebra 1. Negatives and Variables are introduced in the first lessons-- so it is NOT a typical Pre-Algebra text (I call it 'Honors Pre-Algebra'. I have had students move from BCM right into Algebra 1-- but these needed a bit more hand holding as the Algebra 1 text expects students to be fluent in basic equation manipulation when they begin the course!

Lial's makes all 3 of them. Algebra 1 may be called introductory or beginning algebra, but the texts are extremely similar. Lials also makes intermediate algebra (algebra 2), college algebra, precalculus (college algebra and precalculus may be combined to give a high school precalculus course). They do also have a geometry course but it is much less used by colleges. The developmental math track is already so long that most colleges figure that students need a shorter track more than they need proofs. Also most students on the deeply developmental track -- below algebra 2 -- are not going on to major in math/science, but rather trying to make it to college algebra, statistics, or some other 'please just let me pass' course. It's different for a high school student with unlimited possibilities, so I would still recommend doing a geometry course.