Menu

Complete list of Spanish words that have accents?

Googling in English and Spanish is failing me. I'm looking for a list to incorporate into our studies. I found many partial lists, but isn't there an Academia de Letras who should have a comprehensive, up to date list? I know it changes sometimes. Spanish is my second language, but DH is from Mexico and our dds are bilingual. I do fine with the accents for verb conjugations and words that need the accent to be pronounced correctly like oceano (I can't figure out how to use the accents on my phone). But I need help with words like dia and mas which need to be memorized.

Can you please share the partial lists you have found?

Unfortunately I haven't ever heard of a list like that. Googling for "List of all Spanish Words with Accents" didn't help.

Have you tried searching in Spanish? I did a google search for "todas las palabras con tilde" and got this link.

My reading stamina isn't very good in Spanish so I couldn't finish this whole blog post, but it seems to be a page that explains using the tilde very well. It would seem the site is targeted toward teaching kids with dyslexia, but that should'nt hinder anything.

Also, try searching around for the reading and grammar books for elementary students in Spanish speaking countries. I found this, I didn't look through the activities, but you may find something that is useful.

Good luck.

Just want to make sure I understand you...you're looking for a list of words that are accented in order to differentiate them from other identical words, such as el vs. él, as opposed to words that need accents in order to be pronounced correctly, such

as papá ?

Why do you want this?

As a pp noted, there is a fairly short list of words that use accents to differentiate meaning - is this what you're looking for?

In the vast majority of words with accents, the accent is used to show where the word should be accented/stressed when it breaks the rules. The rule is that if a word ends in a vowel, n, or s, the word is accented/stressed on the second-to-last syllable. If the word ends in a consonant other than n or s, the stress is on the last syllable. If a word is an exception to those rules, then an accent is put on the syllable that is actually stressed. I don't understand why you'd want a list of these - it's easier just to use the rules. The only exceptions are the meaning variants like si and sí, el and él.

Just want to make sure I understand you...you're looking for a list of words that are accented in order to differentiate them from other identical words, such as el vs. él, as opposed to words that need accents in order to be pronounced correctly, such

as papá ?

Yes!

Why do you want this?

As a pp noted, there is a fairly short list of words that use accents to differentiate meaning - is this what you're looking for?

In the vast majority of words with accents, the accent is used to show where the word should be accented/stressed when it breaks the rules. The rule is that if a word ends in a vowel, n, or s, the word is accented/stressed on the second-to-last syllable. If the word ends in a consonant other than n or s, the stress is on the last syllable. If a word is an exception to those rules, then an accent is put on the syllable that is actually stressed. I don't understand why you'd want a list of these - it's easier just to use the rules. The only exceptions are the meaning variants like si and sí, el and él.

Yes, I would like help for words like those bolded where the meaning is changed. I know the rules for pronunciation, but a comprehensive list of those that fall into the same category as the bolded words would help me in teaching Spanish spelling to my dds.

I did google in Spanish as well. These are some examples: