Menu

dyslexic DS has stalled out in Singapore 6 - now what?

We spent this entire past school year in Singapore 6A/B (our year just ended), and DS is still not getting the concepts. He cruised through Singapore until this point (he is 11). I'm not sure how much is dyslexia - getting bogged down in the details of arithmetic - and we should just move ahead into algebra. Or how much is simply maturity and we need to keep at it and move ahead later. Keeping at it is an option I'm not quite sure how to do. We've done most of the Extra Practice and Intensive Practice books as well. Because of his dyslexia I had to skip the review sections which did not give enough room to write; I may cut/paste problems from there. It feels a bit like spinning wheels. Should I try another program -- if so, which one? Any advice would be highly appreciated!!

My dyslexic dd hit a brick wall that we were never able to overcome at the end of 5B. I ended up switching her over to MUS. The more difficult fraction/decimal/percent problems are still an issue for her, but we spent a few years working heavily on those topics without really making any progress. She did all of the Key to F/D/P books and worked through the Math Mammoth worksheets on F/D/P and did many other F/D/P problems, but just never was able to master the more difficult ones. She can handle basic F/D/P stuff, just not the more complicated problems.

MUS is working for her now. It's a more basic program than I like, but I have to meet my dd where she is, not where I'd like for her to be. Up until 5th grade, I would have said that she was actually quite strong in math, but now it is more of a struggle.

We got to a point where it made no sense to continue bashing our heads in trying to get F/D/P problems mastered and moved on. Two years of focused work on it did nothing. She made it through MUS Algebra I last year and is actually enjoying MUS Geometry this year (except for the lessons on radicals, those are pretty head-banging for her).

I'm hoping that by working through MUS all the way through Precalculus, she will be able to get through a College Algebra course at the cc and then won't have to take any more math.

My dyslexic son hit the wall in Singapore Math at about the same place. I wish now that I had tried something like MUS, but I didn't. I kept trying standard type math instruction, until I finally moved on to Algebra using Keys to Algebra and Borenson's Hands On Equations. We did have to move on conceptually while he took time to master the arithmetic alogrithms because he gets concepts but has difficulty with math fluency and with arithmetic errors. Even now, he makes more basic arithmetic errors than he ought and loses points on math and chemistry tests because of it. But he's doing a terrific job with Calculus I because he understands the concepts.

My oldest son is not dyslexic, and math is his strength, but he has hit a wall in Singapore this year in level 6. IMO, the concepts are more abstract and the instruction given less explicit, which can causes kids who aren't really confident and on top of things to falter. My answer to this is to push forward through to the end of 6B, doing what he can and with me explaining or demonstrating the rest while he watches. I have chosen a Dolciani pre algebra text for him to work through next year so he will essentially have two years of pre algebra which are presented very differently. When he was bogged down and upset about his lack of comprehension, I brought out the Doliciani text and gave him the option of switching to that now and leaving SM 6B unfinished. He wanted to continue on, though, bless him. So we have. And when he gets upset about not understanding, I remind him that these concepts will be presented in a different way next year. He is a kid who is very cautious and lacking in confidence so this reassures him. He liked the look of the Dolciani text, and it seems to be very incremental and explicit in the instruction. Also, it includes review, which is a confidence builder. My goal is to cement the concepts very thoroughly before going on to algebra. One year at a time.

Also, my son has some visual perceptual issues, so he shares some qualities with dyslexic kids. I think that the process of separating out parts out the figures while solving the problems with volume and angles are very difficult for him because of the visual perceptual issues. He has trouble "seeing" it in his head and translating a 2D figure on paper into a 3D figure. I have used a lot of visual aids - stacking blocks - also putting an egg in a glass of water to demonstrate how the solid displaces the liquid volume. He just wasn't "seeing" it. That did seem to help some. I have also tried to teach him to draw only the part of the figure he is working on with angles.

My dyslexic dd hit a brick wall that we were never able to overcome at the end of 5B. I ended up switching her over to MUS. The more difficult fraction/decimal/percent problems are still an issue for her, but we spent a few years working heavily on those topics without really making any progress. She did all of the Key to F/D/P books and worked through the Math Mammoth worksheets on F/D/P and did many other F/D/P problems, but just never was able to master the more difficult ones. She can handle basic F/D/P stuff, just not the more complicated problems.

MUS is working for her now. It's a more basic program than I like, but I have to meet my dd where she is, not where I'd like for her to be. Up until 5th grade, I would have said that she was actually quite strong in math, but now it is more of a struggle.

We got to a point where it made no sense to continue bashing our heads in trying to get F/D/P problems mastered and moved on. Two years of focused work on it did nothing. She made it through MUS Algebra I last year and is actually enjoying MUS Geometry this year (except for the lessons on radicals, those are pretty head-banging for her).

I'm hoping that by working through MUS all the way through Precalculus, she will be able to get through a College Algebra course at the cc and then won't have to take any more math.

Thanks for sharing your experience! So it sounds like you essentially went on to MUS Algebra even though you did not see total mastery yet. We did most of the Key to books as well - forgot to mention that. I will look into MUS. Did she do well in MUS Algebra? I have heard that dyslexics do better in higher math, so I'm wondering if she IS strong in math, just not arithmetic.

My dyslexic son hit the wall in Singapore Math at about the same place. I wish now that I had tried something like MUS, but I didn't. I kept trying standard type math instruction, until I finally moved on to Algebra using Keys to Algebra and Borenson's Hands On Equations. We did have to move on conceptually while he took time to master the arithmetic alogrithms because he gets concepts but has difficulty with math fluency and with arithmetic errors. Even now, he makes more basic arithmetic errors than he ought and loses points on math and chemistry tests because of it. But he's doing a terrific job with Calculus I because he understands the concepts.

Thanks, Marie! I remember that one of your kids is severely dyslexic/dysgraphic and also excellent in math (not sure if it's this DS). It's encouraging to hear how he is doing in Calculus! Sometimes I think my DS is just getting bogged down in the arithmetic, but then sometimes it seems like he's missing the whole concept. He also has difficulty expressing his thoughts to me, so sometimes the problem is more in our communication. I do feel like we need a fresh approach/ change of pace. Can I ask what you used for the rest of his math sequence?

My oldest son is not dyslexic, and math is his strength, but he has hit a wall in Singapore this year in level 6. IMO, the concepts are more abstract and the instruction given less explicit, which can causes kids who aren't really confident and on top of things to falter. My answer to this is to push forward through to the end of 6B, doing what he can and with me explaining or demonstrating the rest while he watches. I have chosen a Dolciani pre algebra text for him to work through next year so he will essentially have two years of pre algebra which are presented very differently. When he was bogged down and upset about his lack of comprehension, I brought out the Doliciani text and gave him the option of switching to that now and leaving SM 6B unfinished. He wanted to continue on, though, bless him. So we have. And when he gets upset about not understanding, I remind him that these concepts will be presented in a different way next year. He is a kid who is very cautious and lacking in confidence so this reassures him. He liked the look of the Dolciani text, and it seems to be very incremental and explicit in the instruction. Also, it includes review, which is a confidence builder. My goal is to cement the concepts very thoroughly before going on to algebra. One year at a time.

Also, my son has some visual perceptual issues, so he shares some qualities with dyslexic kids. I think that the process of separating out parts out the figures while solving the problems with volume and angles are very difficult for him because of the visual perceptual issues. He has trouble "seeing" it in his head and translating a 2D figure on paper into a 3D figure. I have used a lot of visual aids - stacking blocks - also putting an egg in a glass of water to demonstrate how the solid displaces the liquid volume. He just wasn't "seeing" it. That did seem to help some. I have also tried to teach him to draw only the part of the figure he is working on with angles.

Thanks for chiming in! I at first decided to do another pre-algebra program and purchased AOPS. Eldest DS and I enjoyed their Intro Algebra book. I did NOT enjoy the pre-algebra book, though, and dropped it. DS liked it fine, but it required me reading it to him, and it was too painful for me. I have not seen Dolciani pre-algebra - would love to hear how that goes for you guys!

Thanks for chiming in! I at first decided to do another pre-algebra program and purchased AOPS. Eldest DS and I enjoyed their Intro Algebra book. I did NOT enjoy the pre-algebra book, though, and dropped it. DS liked it fine, but it required me reading it to him, and it was too painful for me. I have not seen Dolciani pre-algebra - would love to hear how that goes for you guys!

Dolciani is a very good prealgebra option. I used parts of it when the going got rough for my dd with AoPS Prealgebra (the chapter on solving equations; we went back to AoPS because it was a little better suited to how my dd's brain works and a little more fun). The 1985 / 1988 version (they're the same) would be the one to get. Answers to odds are in the back. It's very straightforward!

FWIW, my kids typically do not read AoPS Prealgebra. They work the lesson problems, I help as needed, and then we skim through the solutions for anything they didn't understand or notice while doing the lesson problems. They *do* read the problems/exercises and any of those boxed important things in the lesson problem solutions that I specifically point out to them, but most of the time, going through the lesson problem solutions only takes a few moments because it was all already covered while they were working the lesson problems. They also watch the videos.

HTH :)

Dolciani is a very good prealgebra option. I used parts of it when the going got rough for my dd with AoPS Prealgebra (the chapter on solving equations; we went back to AoPS because it was a little better suited to how my dd's brain works and a little more fun). The 1985 / 1988 version (they're the same) would be the one to get. Answers to odds are in the back. It's very straightforward!

FWIW, my kids typically do not read AoPS Prealgebra. They work the lesson problems, I help as needed, and then we skim through the solutions for anything they didn't understand or notice while doing the lesson problems. They *do* read the problems/exercises and any of those boxed important things in the lesson problem solutions that I specifically point out to them, but most of the time, going through the lesson problem solutions only takes a few moments because it was all already covered while they were working the lesson problems. They also watch the videos.

HTH :)

I would love to hear more about how you use AOPS Prealgebra! (You don't read it?) What do you mean by "going through the lesson problem solutions only takes a few moments because it was already covered while they were working the lesson problems?" How was it already covered? Is that because they work the problems with you and you are guiding them, discussing the problems as they go? Or they have already figured out most of what is in the solutions on their own? What I didn't like about the book is the profound detail into every aspect of what they were learning. I can imagine that a child who LOVES math might really enjoy an in-depth discussion of negation, but for us (me) it was just too much. I found myself more and more trying to read ahead and skip around, which was getting frustrating. DS wasn't following everything I was reading, but really enjoyed the puzzle-aspect of AOPS (and was eager to join in after watching older DS all year). He did fine on most of the problems, too. I just couldn't handle the wordiness.

Is that because they work the problems with you and you are guiding them, discussing the problems as they go? Or they have already figured out most of what is in the solutions on their own?

Yes to both. My ds10 is in ch 14. Either he figures it out for himself or he asks for help. I give as minimal hints as possible, and then Increase from there. Sometimes he has no clue and we flip to the solution to see how they did it, but usually that's not necessary. I like to point out when they did it a different way, as well as pointing out any major concept that was learned (the things in the boxes) or any other tips that didn't come up while working the problem. The vast majority of the time, he learned what's in the solution while working the problem. LOL, yesterday he used what I thought was the "bogus solution" but turned out to be different and the answer was correct. He often finds his own way.

My ds has major handwriting issues and tries to do as much in his head as possibhle. I'm looking forward to a good month of review soon, when he'll have to write out solving some equations the proper way again. The handwriting is what I worry about most with regard to starting algebra. I still haven't gotten around to playing with LaTeX and then getting him to try it out.

Funny enough, he came up with things he wanted to compute for his programming in Scratch, and stuff he learned in AoPS came into play. AoPS is so efficient for how his brain works that I will tweak it in whatever way necessary to make it work in spite of his weaknesses. He doesn't have a reading weakness (well, if you don't count the language processing glitch involving inferences), mostly just the handwriting and processing speed.

Eta, when I say hints, I mean a Socratic-style discussion where I ask a question(s) that allows him to still think through it himself as much as possible. Since he avoids handwriting so much, I often ask him to explain how he did it. Eta again, I would say thay we "look at" the lesson problem solutions rather than "read" them, if that makes any sense. This is my second time through the book, and I often mention a key point while helping or right after he has solved a problem rather than waiting until he's done with the lesson problems.

Thanks for sharing your experience! So it sounds like you essentially went on to MUS Algebra even though you did not see total mastery yet. We did most of the Key to books as well - forgot to mention that. I will look into MUS. Did she do well in MUS Algebra? I have heard that dyslexics do better in higher math, so I'm wondering if she IS strong in math, just not arithmetic.

She still struggled some in Algebra, but she had a much easier time working through algebra I than she had in prealgebra. She was just completely sick and tired of fractions, decimals, and percents. She completely gets the basics for them, but the more advanced work with them would throw her off. She would get it and be able to work through it while she was in that lesson, but when doing a review several lessons later, it was like she had never seen it before. So we kept covering the same material over and over and over. She would get it down and then poof, it would vanish again.

She is working through geometry right now and actually likes it. Geometry makes sense to her and she can see why it is necessary. Algebra just seems pointless to her.

She is doing fine with the algebra review as well.

I'm hoping that MUS Algebra II is easier for her than Algebra I was. I think the extra time to mature has been helpful.

Thanks, Marie! I remember that one of your kids is severely dyslexic/dysgraphic and also excellent in math (not sure if it's this DS). It's encouraging to hear how he is doing in Calculus! Sometimes I think my DS is just getting bogged down in the arithmetic, but then sometimes it seems like he's missing the whole concept. He also has difficulty expressing his thoughts to me, so sometimes the problem is more in our communication. I do feel like we need a fresh approach/ change of pace. Can I ask what you used for the rest of his math sequence?

Do you really want to know?? I'm not sure it's a model for best practices in math! :p

When we hit the wall in Singapore, I signed ds up for ALEKS. That was both easier and harder. The easier part was that he didn't have to do oodles of problems on a concept he knew in order to get that part of his "pie" filled. The hard part was that ds is a strong auditory learner and ALEKS has no sound. Even though he could read the problems, it was like his eyes glazed over to see all the symbols and words on the page. I had to sit with him and read everything to him. Also, he has had major weaknesses in logical, sequential thinking. That was one of the issues with Singapore, because he had hit multi-step problems and was having difficulty forming a strong approach to problem-solving. ALEKS didn't solve that issue.

Then we left Singapore and worked through Keys to Algebra and Borenson's Hands On Equations while continuing with ALEKS Pre-algebra. The Keys to and Hands On Equations helped him make the leap to algebraic thinking.

After that, we found an online program called TabletClass Math. It's a similar idea to Teaching Textbooks. TabletClass was fairly new at the time we started and Homeschool Buyers Co-op was offering a reduced price. Ds ended up doing Algebra I, Algebra II, and I think parts of Geometry (he more or less did Jacob's Geometry in a co-op class but needed more work on it). What finally got ds over the hump was that John Zimmerman, the teacher for TabletClass, took him on as a tutorial student. I don't think he does this now, but back when ds was doing it, Mr. Zimmerman was offering online/phone tutoring to a small number of students.

Ds finished TabletClass Algebra II just before he enrolled in a charter school/middle college program. The program had him repeat Algebra II in one semester to help him gain confidence and get used to doing math in a classroom setting. Since then he has taken all his math at the community college. He took two semesters of College Algebra/Pre-calculus, which covers Larson's Precalculus with Limits.

At this point, ds still makes clerical errors with some regularity, but his logical, sequential thinking is stronger so he no longer has the same difficulties with problem-solving that he had when he was 10-12. His current teacher uses a very conceptual teaching style, and presents information in as multi-sensory a way as you can for college level math. This has really, really helped ds gain confidence in his math ability.

Yes to both. My ds10 is in ch 14. Either he figures it out for himself or he asks for help. I give as minimal hints as possible, and then Increase from there. Sometimes he has no clue and we flip to the solution to see how they did it, but usually that's not necessary. I like to point out when they did it a different way, as well as pointing out any major concept that was learned (the things in the boxes) or any other tips that didn't come up while working the problem. The vast majority of the time, he learned what's in the solution while working the problem. LOL, yesterday he used what I thought was the "bogus solution" but turned out to be different and the answer was correct. He often finds his own way.

My ds has major handwriting issues and tries to do as much in his head as possibhle. I'm looking forward to a good month of review soon, when he'll have to write out solving some equations the proper way again. The handwriting is what I worry about most with regard to starting algebra. I still haven't gotten around to playing with LaTeX and then getting him to try it out.

Funny enough, he came up with things he wanted to compute for his programming in Scratch, and stuff he learned in AoPS came into play. AoPS is so efficient for how his brain works that I will tweak it in whatever way necessary to make it work in spite of his weaknesses. He doesn't have a reading weakness (well, if you don't count the language processing glitch involving inferences), mostly just the handwriting and processing speed.

Eta, when I say hints, I mean a Socratic-style discussion where I ask a question(s) that allows him to still think through it himself as much as possible. Since he avoids handwriting so much, I often ask him to explain how he did it. Eta again, I would say thay we "look at" the lesson problem solutions rather than "read" them, if that makes any sense. This is my second time through the book, and I often mention a key point while helping or right after he has solved a problem rather than waiting until he's done with the lesson problems.

Thank you so much for sharing all of this - it is very helpful! DS really enjoyed doing the problems in AOPS, so we may try it again without all that reading. Somehow I did not think that was possible!

Do you really want to know?? I'm not sure it's a model for best practices in math! :p

When we hit the wall in Singapore, I signed ds up for ALEKS. That was both easier and harder. The easier part was that he didn't have to do oodles of problems on a concept he knew in order to get that part of his "pie" filled. The hard part was that ds is a strong auditory learner and ALEKS has no sound. Even though he could read the problems, it was like his eyes glazed over to see all the symbols and words on the page. I had to sit with him and read everything to him. Also, he has had major weaknesses in logical, sequential thinking. That was one of the issues with Singapore, because he had hit multi-step problems and was having difficulty forming a strong approach to problem-solving. ALEKS didn't solve that issue.

Then we left Singapore and worked through Keys to Algebra and Borenson's Hands On Equations while continuing with ALEKS Pre-algebra. The Keys to and Hands On Equations helped him make the leap to algebraic thinking.

After that, we found an online program called TabletClass Math. It's a similar idea to Teaching Textbooks. TabletClass was fairly new at the time we started and Homeschool Buyers Co-op was offering a reduced price. Ds ended up doing Algebra I, Algebra II, and I think parts of Geometry (he more or less did Jacob's Geometry in a co-op class but needed more work on it). What finally got ds over the hump was that John Zimmerman, the teacher for TabletClass, took him on as a tutorial student. I don't think he does this now, but back when ds was doing it, Mr. Zimmerman was offering online/phone tutoring to a small number of students.

Ds finished TabletClass Algebra II just before he enrolled in a charter school/middle college program. The program had him repeat Algebra II in one semester to help him gain confidence and get used to doing math in a classroom setting. Since then he has taken all his math at the community college. He took two semesters of College Algebra/Pre-calculus, which covers Larson's Precalculus with Limits.

At this point, ds still makes clerical errors with some regularity, but his logical, sequential thinking is stronger so he no longer has the same difficulties with problem-solving that he had when he was 10-12. His current teacher uses a very conceptual teaching style, and presents information in as multi-sensory a way as you can for college level math. This has really, really helped ds gain confidence in his math ability.

Thanks, Marie! That's great that he has been able to take math at a local college. Tabletclass looks interesting. He would benefit from a course that relies on video instruction rather than his own reading. Would you recommend Tabletclass as it is, without the extra tutoring your DS received?

Thanks, Marie! That's great that he has been able to take math at a local college. Tabletclass looks interesting. He would benefit from a course that relies on video instruction rather than his own reading. Would you recommend Tabletclass as it is, without the extra tutoring your DS received?

Thank you so much for sharing all of this - it is very helpful! DS really enjoyed doing the problems in AOPS, so we may try it again without all that reading. Somehow I did not think that was possible!

I look at it this way: of course it's important for him to learn all the stuff that's in those long, wordy lesson problem solutions. IME/IMO, most, or at least a whole lot, of what's in the lesson problem solutions will be learned while solving the lesson problems, which is really the whole point of AoPS. Reading through the lesson problem solutions word for word, or him listening to your reading, is a much more sequential activity (not to mention boring), which teaches through a weakness (assuming he has sequential weaknesses). Instead, l'd "look at" the lesson problem solutions together, with you pointing out anything special there, including if the book solves a problem in a different way than he did, or notes anything else that he didn't pick up while doing the problem, as well as any special concepts spelled out in a box. The solutions are so long and wordy so that it's all there if and when he needs it, but he won't need all those words every time. (and make use of the videos!)

His enjoyment of the problems is very valuable. Good luck!

I think it would have worked fine without the tutoring. The main benefit of tutoring for my son at that point was having someone who is a math teacher give him positive, "You are a good math student" vibes. Ds, in spite of his math potential had come to see himself as deficient because of his struggles in bridging the gap between basic calculation algorithms and the logical sequential aspects of problem solving multi-step problems.

The curriculum is meant to be a complete curriculum. I printed lots and lots of worksheets- all the problems are done on paper, which the instruction is on video/whiteboard. One thing I wished I had done when ds was in middle school was to stay away from conversations here on WTM about certain programs not being rigorous enough. That kept me from finding the program that fit my son's learning style because I kept trying to fit him to the program rather than finding the program that fit him right where he was at that moment.

I look at it this way: of course it's important for him to learn all the stuff that's in those long, wordy lesson problem solutions. IME/IMO, most, or at least a whole lot, of what's in the lesson problem solutions will be learned while solving the lesson problems, which is really the whole point of AoPS. Reading through the lesson problem solutions word for word, or him listening to your reading, is a much more sequential activity (not to mention boring), which teaches through a weakness (assuming he has sequential weaknesses). Instead, l'd "look at" the lesson problem solutions together, with you pointing out anything special there, including if the book solves a problem in a different way than he did, or notes anything else that he didn't pick up while doing the problem, as well as any special concepts spelled out in a box. The solutions are so long and wordy so that it's all there if and when he needs it, but he won't need all those words every time. (and make use of the videos!)

His enjoyment of the problems is very valuable. Good luck!

This is very encouraging! I am eager to see how he does with those problems on his own, and how that will work with us going over the solutions together. Thank you!

One thing I wished I had done when ds was in middle school was to stay away from conversations here on WTM about certain programs not being rigorous enough. That kept me from finding the program that fit my son's learning style because I kept trying to fit him to the program rather than finding the program that fit him right where he was at that moment.

Marie, this is a very good word. Thank you!