Menu

Low Carbers and Easter Dinner...

Chocolate Rose

Whatcha makin?

I wasn't going to do anything special, but now I'm kind of thinking I might. I could do ham and maybe some version of loaded mashed cauli, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm looking for something LCHF. Oh, another possibility is my LCified version of a shrimp thing I used to make before LCHF. I'd take a loaf of buttery garlic bread and put it open face on a cookie sheet. I'd top it with pre-cooked shrimp and then with grated cheese. Then stick it in the oven until heated through and all melty. Now, I saute garlic in butter and add the shrimp to that until heated through. Then, top with shredded cheese. YUM!

Anyway, looking for new ideas...

I'm doing turkey, and broccoli casserole. I am also doing carrots and turnips, which is a family dish. It's not entirely low-carb, but not too bad, and there is a lot of butter. Plus a low-carb cheesecake for dessert. Probably a big green salad too. The other day I picked up some great looking cheese, three or four different kinds, so we can do a cheese plate for the evening. We do Easter dinner at noon.

Oh, and I'm doing baked sweet potatoes, for those who are willing to eat more carbs. I don't particularly like sweet potato myself, so I will probably not indulge.

We do Shaslick, which is basically lamb chunks (cut up a leg) marinated in Italian dressing overnight, then grilled on a skewer. We do the veggies separately, brushed with dressing instead of marinated--mushrooms, onions, peppers, and a skewer of tomatoes. The tomatoes take less time, so they have to be separate. We serve over rice, but you don't have to.

It's my favorite meal of the entire year!

A BIG fresh salad. :)) With lots of chopped veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, few peas, etc.

I'm going to splurge and get some flavored olive oil too.

Seriously, eating with family is challenging. You'd think with 4 diabetics in the familly we'd have this figured out, right? My mother s the worst at this, "Oh, there NO sugar in there!!! (take a helping and while you're eating it) Except the 3T I added at the end." :glare:

I'm filling my plate this season rabbit style.

That lamb meal sounds delicious!

We have 30+ people coming for dinner, most of whom are not low carbers. I'm going to make a couple of spiral hams, a veggie casserole (which I love but will likely abstain from as it has stuffing in it), mashed potatoes (again, I will abstain), asparagus, and roasted vegetables (eggplant, red onion, red peppers, and mushrooms). For dessert, we'll have traditional cakes, pies, and brownies, but I am also going to make a tray of fresh fruit/berries with whipped cream (made with just a little sugar) and a low carb cheesecake.

I'm looking for tried and true low carb cheesecake recipes if anyone has one!

Great ideas, you guys!!

You cheesecake lovers reminded me of a recipe I was going to make last Thanksgiving. The presentation looks awesome. I even bought the jars, but life got in the way and I never made them. Here's the recipes: http://birgitkerr.blogspot.com/2011/07/cheese-cake-pots-2-ways-lc-gf-sf.html