Menu

For those beta testing WWS 2?

How would you describe the differences in book 1 and book 2. We are just about to finish book 1 with an 8th grader. I love, love love this book. However, with having an 8th grader, I am ever mindful that we need to get different types of essays under our belt as he moves into high school.

Any thoughts.....

Thanks,

Brenda

Well, I won't be very helpful, but I love it, too. I've tried lots of writing programs, but this is the first one I've both loved and also been able to thoroughly implement.

I can't compare WWS1 with 2. I have a daughter at Week 15 in WWS 1 and a son at Week 24 in WWS 2. But he never did WWS 1 so I haven't looked at WWS 1 beyond Week 15. My son is in 9th grade, but I do not regret using WWS 2. I had hoped that it would take him less time and he could do other things, but it has taken more time than I expected. With a WWS1 background that might not be the case for you. Though persuasive writing is not taught in WWS2, the skills taught are useful in persuasive writing.

I have had my son write a few persuasive essays on his literature readings. But he had already done most of Lost Tools of Writing so the persuasive essay wasn't new to him.

I think you would not regret doing WWS 2, especially since you like WWS 1. Every week I find more reasons to be glad we area using WWS 1 and 2.

If your child is almost done with WWS1, you could do some other kind of writing between now and when WWS 2 is ready.

Kendall

I know about persuasive writing, but beyond that what other kinds of writing did you mean?

WWS 2 does have compare and contrast essays. I used WWS 1 with my 8th grade ds last year, and WWS 2 in 9th this year. It is working well, especially for a boy who does nbot like to write. I am also using it with dd, 6th grade this year.

If you are happy with WWS 1, you will be happy with WWS 2. If level 3 were going to be out next year, I would use it for my son in 10th grade. Alas, I will probably use The Elegant Essay. and then some more of SWB's recommendation.

I wrote down the following rec's that I found (I think in one of the giant WWS threads) about using WWS in High School. According to my notes, SWB said it would be fine to start using WWS in high school, and in 11th grade start Oxford Guide to Writing 1x/week in addition to WWS. and in 12th grade use Oxford 3x per week

hth

Carolyn