Menu

gardening in zone 5...a couple questions

ProudGrandma

when do you plant your veggies? I know some of early, some are later...but it always seems to me that I never get the early plants in early enough to get a decent harvest before the temps hit 90....but it is so often that there is still snow on the ground or threat of frost so late into the spring that I don't feel safe getting plants out there. I usually buy plants...I just don't have the time to start them inside....

I usually plant: potatoes, tomatoes, cucs, peppers, brocoli, and lettuce.

I also have been trying to get strawberries established...but I have failed year after year....what do you do to establish a really great strawberry bed???

thanks for your help!!!!

when do you plant your veggies? I know some of early, some are later...but it always seems to me that I never get the early plants in early enough to get a decent harvest before the temps hit 90....but it is so often that there is still snow on the ground or threat of frost so late into the spring that I don't feel safe getting plants out there. I usually buy plants...I just don't have the time to start them inside....

I usually plant: potatoes, tomatoes, cucs, peppers, brocoli, and lettuce.

I also have been trying to get strawberries established...but I have failed year after year....what do you do to establish a really great strawberry bed???

thanks for your help!!!!

My mom is my zone 5 mentor..... She's already got tomatoes potted inside and up. She won't move them outside until mid may. She starts a bunch of stuff indoors before transplanting. She's always got a great harvest.

I'm still learning. . . . . I usually end up buying replacement plants from her after mind die. :((