Menu

Ok, Be Kind...Common Core Question

From the CC Math Appendix, page 81:

Decisions to accelerate students into the Common Core State Standards for high school mathematics before

ninth grade should not be rushed. Placing students into tracks too early should be avoided at all costs. It is not

recommended to compact the standards before grade seven. In this document, compaction begins in seventh

grade for both the traditional and integrated (international) sequences.

3. Decisions to accelerate students into high school mathematics before ninth grade should be based on solid

evidence of student learning. Research has shown discrepancies in the placement of students into “advancedâ€

classes by race/ethnicity and socioeconomic background. While such decisions to accelerate are almost always

a joint decision between the school and the family, serious efforts must be made to consider solid evidence of

student learning in order to avoid unwittingly disadvantaging the opportunities of particular groups of students.

In reading the document, I realize that CC is social engineering. There are too many students in elementary that need compacted and accelerated math curriculum to ignore, as this document encourages. A Kumon franchise may be in my future, as there is a huge market for math at a pace that a nondisadvantaged child can handle.

Thank you for quoting the document. I can see that this indeed IS saying that it will be more difficult to track students UP.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a link to an article on National Review Online addressing some of the concerns of Common Core. http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/344519/truth-about-common-core-kathleen-porter-magee I haven't really followed the issue but have heard some of the claims by different people about what is going on. This is a fair sounding rebuttal to some of the concerns from a pretty conservative website. I don't think it addresses your original question but I thought it was interesting none-the-less.