Menu

Beast Academy for dyslexic kid

We are currently using Math U See and my dyslexic son has just completed Gamma. While he struggles with math facts and rote memorization, he seems to have a knack for more conceptual math. Word problems are a strength for him and he often deduces his answers in ways that are very different from the way I see numbers.

I just ordered Beast Academy to supplement Math U See for him before we move on to Delta. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am pretty sure I am going to have to read the sections to him (or have my older kid do it so they learn some of this as well).

I

personally, for a kid like that, i'd think Zaccaro's Primary Challenge Math might be better? Idk, my son liked Zaccaro a lot (we did it in 2nd or 3rd grade, i forget - and i dont know the MUS levels) but he did not like the sample chapter of BA. I mean, he loved the comic book texts, but the level of challenge of the problems (in geometry, which he hates) was not working for him.

Dyslexics have different strengths and weaknesses, but in our experience the skip-counting chapter was terrible because of the word retrieval and language issues. The other two chapters of BA 3A were great and very visual/spatial. We loved all 3 chapters of 3C. 3B contained a lot of arithmetic and the math fact recall as well as processing speed became an issue, so I lowered the amount of problems and skipped some of the exercises that were clearly designed to encourage rote memorization of math facts and we practiced times tables another way. We have not started 3D yet.

Your son sounds a lot like my daughter. She LOVES Beast Academy. She struggles with facts and any memorization. She absolutely understands the harder math concepts beyond the facts. I have to read her the book and any word problems, but she loves the challenge of Beast Academy. We started when they put out 3A last year. While waiting for the next book to be published we've done Zacarro's Primary Math Challenge, worked on facts and gone back to Singapore math. I'm just sad that I think she might progress faster than the books are being published.