Menu

Reading milestone funny

Background: Although DS is a great reader he has not been inclined to pick up many books on his own. For school, I make him read 20 minutes aloud to me every day from books like Nate the Great, with us alternating pages. He's done harder stuff a few times, but I've been careful not to push it since he can be stubborn.

Today DS was acting totally tired and loopy. He's a great sleeper normally so I just chalked it up to some residual excitement since DH has been home all week (after 7 months in Afghanistan). At bedtime I pulled out our latest read aloud, a goofy chapter book called Harry the Poisonous Centipede Goes to Sea, ans DS blurts out "Oh, I got up last night and finished the whole thing!" :blink: Then he proceeded to tell me what happens and how it ended.

I was torn between feeling :hurray: for the reading and :glare: for staying up late. Mostly though, it was pretty cool. BTW, we've read all three from this series and I definitely recommend them as good boy books.

I'll second Calvin & Hobbes. My son started there and moved on to Foxtrot. It's been interesting over the years as he learns something in school and then says, "Oh! So that explains this comic!" and then goes on to quote the comic... :glare:

:lol:

Glad you figured out why he was tired and loopy! I know my oldest loses his brain when he's stayed up late. He'll melt down over things that totally don't make sense, and he'll not be able to figure out how to do a simple task. It's almost comical when that happens.

I'll ditto the Calvin and Hobbes. And we also got DS a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas. He loves it and takes it everywhere.

I wonder if the forbidden-ness makes it more fun! I shared a bedroom with a few sisters, and I remember Dad knocking on the bathroom door where I was hiding out reading at around 10 at night to tell me in a deep voice, "Good night, Joy." Busted! I also remember finishing the second book of Lord of the Rings LONG after my bedtime and being so upset by where the stopping point that I rushed out into the living room to find the third book. Mom and Dad were on the couch talking and Dad just grinned at me. My siblings did the same things. I suspect that baiting us with great literature was Dad's adaptation of un-schooling.

Both of my boys, but especially my oldest, have been doing this. We catch ds8 in his closet reading almost every night. Sometimes he has been up as late as midnight. As much as I love that he is reading, he is a bear the next day if he doesn't get enough sleep. We compromised by allowing them to stay "up" an extra 30 minutes, reading in bed, before time for lights out.