Menu

Anyone used Word Roots?

Meljoy

Word Roots is definitely all about vocabulary. Spelling doesn't really come into play.

My oldest did A1 in workbook format. I bought the cd-roms after that and she definitely preferred that format.

My middle dd A1 in 6th grade and A2 in 7th grade. She's going to do B in 8th grade.

The cd-roms are a good deal. You can always sell them when your kids are done.

We used it last year and plant to use the next book in the series this year. I don't have the books in front of me right now but I think we are using books B1 and B2. They are for building vocab. but you could have your kids learn to spell the words, too. Ds liked using it (as much as a 12yo boy can like doing schoolwork). They teach the greek and latin roots, stems, and suffixes and there are review lessons that can be done every so many lessons. Each lesson lists the parts of the words for that lesson and tells what those parts mean. Then there are exercises that have the student circle or underline the parts, figure out the meanings of the words, and place them in sentences. HTH.

I would want this more for vocabulary.

DS would love the CD Rom but the problem is I work 2 days a week at an herb shop. He goes with me and we do school work there (we actually get way more done as I have more time ot just sit than I would at home) anyway- I do not have a computer up there- so I hesitate to get anything used on the computer- because it will not get used consistently we tend to forget about it. I am going ot try and save for a laptop in the next year.