Menu

Dry heaves...food or not?

UncleEJ

If you or your DC has dry heaves, do you eat or drink anything or not? I know the common recommendation is nothing to eat or drink during vomiting and for a while after but I kind of feel like if one is going to be dry heaving anyway, isn't it better to have something there to throw up? Thoughts...

It depends on how I'm feeling. But when I do eat something when dry heaving, I start with things that aren't so bad coming back up, like applesauce and brothy soups.

Personally, I tend to eat something little, or at least drink something. But what if it is a small child, (in this case DS3.5) and they are asking to eat. I've let him sip pedialyte and have a cracker but it just comes right back. I hate telling him he can't have anything to eat.

Personally, I tend to eat something little, or at least drink something. But what if it is a small child, (in this case DS3.5) and they are asking to eat. I've let him sip pedialyte and have a cracker but it just comes right back. I hate telling him he can't have anything to eat.

That's what I've had to tell my little ones sometimes. It's awful,having to say "no" to a sick little one. :crying: You could try spoonfuls of the thin Campbell's chicken noodle soup or apple sauce. That won't be two hard if it comes back up. Also, I love the Pedialyte pops. Sometimes the cold/numbing helps settle things down.

That's what I've had to tell my little ones sometimes. It's awful,having to say "no" to a sick little one. :crying: You could try spoonfuls of the thin Campbell's chicken noodle soup or apple sauce. That won't be two hard if it comes back up. Also, I love the Pedialyte pops. Sometimes the cold/numbing helps settle things down.

Thanks, good ideas.

There was a thread recently about flu and dehydration that had many good recommendations in it.

I wait until they stop heaving, then give 1 tsp. of Gatorade or Pedialyte every 20 minutes, increasing the amount gradually as they are able to keep it down.