Menu

How do you know if you're doing enough?

kohlby

If your child is doing well and not asking for anything additional, are you doing enough? Or do you add in something else to figure out when you get to that limit, right before it's pushing?

I have a 4th grader who is a gifted child, but he's not the type to read textbooks for fun. (Though he will read Horrible Science for fun). I'm very comfortable with the math thanks to AoPS being a perfect fit. But I'm now second guessing how we do Language Arts. I had always thought of him as a very gifted Math/Science kid who does pretty well in Language Arts too, but more of a normal smart kid in that. He recently took the SCAT, and though it doesn't mean a child is gifted, it surprised me that he qualified for CTY in verbal as well. It was his very first time taking a formal standardized test at a testing center. (He did the PASS last year but that was a very laidback environment. So, though he scored well in all three areas, that didn't make me wonder as much. But maybe my head was just too much in math mode). We didn't do any prep for the test either other than showing him the sample questions on their website. There was a huge difference in his math and verbal scores, which wasn't surprising. But because his math is so high, I think I may not be giving the attention to Language Arts that I should. Any suggestions? For language arts, we started the first level of Michael Clay Thompson in 3rd grade, and did the second in 4th. Since we finish it up early, he spends the rest of the school year writing stories. He reads books that he wants that are on grade level or above. (Also, a disclaimer, I'm not a classical homeschooler. I'd call my style eclectic. But I find that this site has the best curriculum suggestions).

Or do you wait until your child asks for more? I don't think my child is the type to ask for more however, so how do you know if it's time to challenge them more? And how would you go about this with Language Arts in particular?

I really like MCT for vocab (and grammar).

I'd also encourage read-alouds. My son and I do a read-aloud together and we have a different family read-aloud going on most of the time.

Finding the right level of challenge is tricky though!

So you think MCT is challenging enough? Or that we're doing the right thing by just one level a year? (He wouldn't have time for two full levels, but we could move on to the next level instead of doing lots more creative writing). Or any side fun, writing projects or competitions that might not feel like more work? He really enjoys creative writing so I would be hesitant to take it all out.

The problem with read alouds is that he would rather just read it himself. We started out with readalouds at the end of first grade - we took turns reading Harry Potter outloud. That continued through all of second grade. He didn't want it out loud anymore, but I wanted to make sure he understood the vocab and comprehension. So, we abandoned the readalouds once I felt he had strong proficiency. (Though we do take turns reading with some of the MCT books, based on how they're set up. Plus, poetry needs to be read outloud!) I have an auditory processing weakness and would not be surprised if he has a mild weakness in that as well, making reading it himself easier. I do readalounds with my second child who is in first grade. We're doing Little House on the Prarie and my oldest has zero interest in reading along or listening to that.

Would asking your son to read aloud to you or your second child help? My DS was not interested in reading aloud at all, until I explained to him how I would love to hear him read to me because I never get a chance to read the "good stuff" and was too busy cooking dinner or folding laundry or running errands etc and it could be his job to entertain me with readalouds while I got everything done. He liked the idea of entertaining me with readalouds and now he tries to read to me when I am doing my chores - I correct him when he skips words or when he cannot pronounce something in the right way. And also stop him frequently to ask questions about what he has just read to me to test his comprehension skills. This strategy is working well for us so far.

no idea why people are making a big deal of reading aloud? I dont find it particularly important . . .

For me, i try to approach it from a number of directions. Did the child learn a fair amount, or was there too much review? Do i think the child has reached a point where they are ready for more challenge? Do i have enough energy to add more? Does the child show signs of being bored, or are they enjoying some free time for creative or imaginative pursuits? I rarely make the decision all at once, but let it brew for a while until I feel comfortable. I dont think there is an urgent need to accelerate more at this age - MCT is already accelerated.

LA specifically . . . you might want to start giving him more written assignments in other subjects . . . like write a paragraph about whatever in history. You could assign some reading you think will be challenging. You could have him memorize some poetry. You could even go back and do more of the writing assignments from paragraph town (assuming he didnt do all of them each chapter .. )

no idea why people are making a big deal of reading aloud? I dont find it particularly important . . .

For me, it's something my son enjoys. If it weren't, it might be different.

I do find reading aloud to be important. It gives my son the correct pronunciation of words that he'd only encounter in print otherwise. It shows the importance of punctuation for emphasis. It also helps when he reads aloud with his speech and with speaking clearly in front of others...even if it's only in front of the immediate family.

I remember in classes when students would read aloud and how painful it was listening to them. The pauses at the end of a line rather than at the end of a sentence. I'm pleased to see that my son can read aloud fluently.

I also think that with read-alouds as a family, you can get some classics read that otherwise might not get read. We tend to alternate a more current and fun book with a classic book (although my husband has dozed through most of the classics).

Me listening while he reads while I cook dinner would not work as far as me checking his comprehension and word pronounciation. I have an auditory processing weakness and really need to be reading along with him to myself if I'm going to catch all that. I found him reading outloud, as I followed along in the book, to be important in first and second grade but didn't think it necessary at this point. Due to the way MCT is set up, the child does read outloud at times.

As for being challenged, some parts of MCT did did challenge him - like memorizing the vocab was challenging for him. Some parts did not. He did all the writing assignments in paragraph town. I thought it was a good balance for him. But he's also not likely to let on if something is too easy - he likes easy. He enjoys creative writing, but doesn't like writing summaries of what he read. He did some research paragraphs for MCT and didn't care for those as nearly as much as when he could write about any topic that didn't need research. Is there a creative writing program that someone would suggest? If I add extra work, I don't want him to view it as more work- but want him to think it is fun and interesting. He isn't bored since he can always find things to play. Right now, it's creating involved card games, like Pokemon, but he's creating all the characters and rules.

I want my kids at least at grade level for each subject. If they are not interested in pushing ahead, I don't make them. What I do expect, however, is that they learn to fill their time with useful things. My oldest, dd8, is about a year ahead in everything but writing. We don't spend a lot of time on academics, but she does a lot of reading, crafting, discussing, etc. We are also spending a lot of time learning life skills, such as managing time, managing money, cleaning the house, cooking, etc. As they get older, my academic expectations will increase, but it is also very important to me to make sure that they have plenty of time to pursue their own interests.