Menu

Books on "Tape"

anotherbrother

If I check out a book on "tape" cd from the library can i put it on my iPod or other device? Is there some way it would have an expiration date?

If they are physical CDs, its on the honor system. If its through Overdrive, it puts a program on your ipod that enforces the dates.

I'm not trying to do anything dishonest with the CDs we just don't own a CD player outside of the computer. While I know it's just a technicality, I do want to respect the rules. However, it does seem silly to delete something just because I've returned it. It's not as though I'm keeping someone else from using it, or taking income away from the person selling it. I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

I just had to post again. What Mrs. Mungo said was making my conscious itchy. I called and spoke with the local librarian. Her explanation was that it was similar to making a paper copy of something that you've checked out from the library. If it's for your own personal use than it's fine. If your intent is to distribute than it's not fine. She was clear in saying that if we didn't want you to make copies we wouldn't have copy machines in the library. She also said that was also true of their digital content.

ETA: I hadn't read the entire article yet. I didn't realize that it dealt directly with libraries. Our library system is huge and I spoke with the librarian in the main office, it seems to me this is just a very murky issue. In most cases I wouldn't have more than a single use for these items anyhow. Some items I would like to use or listen to over a more than 4 week period however.

It is also illegal to copy an entire book to read at home, even if it is for your personal use. You may copy portions, but NOT entire books. There are a few exceptions to this rule. If an older work is out of print, then a librarian may make an archival copy. The particular person you spoke to was not well versed on copyright law-that is an example of an exception.

http://www.umuc.edu/library/libhow/copyright.cfm

Eta this quote from the article:

Keeping in mind the rules for instructors listed above, and that the source(s) of all materials must be cited in order to avoid plagiarism, general examples of limited portions of published materials that might be used in the classroom under fair use for a limited period of time, as discussed by the U.S. Copyright Office (2009, p. 6), include:

A chapter from a book (never the entire book).

An article from a periodical or newspaper.

A short story, essay, or poem. One work is the norm whether it comes from an individual work or an anthology.

A chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon or picture from a book, periodical, or newspaper.

Poetry

Copies of a poem of 250 words or less that exists on two pages or less or 250 words from a longer poem.

Prose

Copies of an article, story or essay that are 2,500 words or less or excerpts up to 1,000 words or 10 percent of the total work, whichever is less.

Illustrations

Copies of a chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon, or picture contained in a book or periodical issue (U.S. Copyright Office, 2009, p. 6).

It is also illegal to copy an entire book to read at home, even if it is for your personal use. You may copy portions, but NOT entire books. There are a few exceptions to this rule. If an older work is out of print, then a librarian may make an archival copy. The particular person you spoke to was not well versed on copyright law-that is an example of an exception.

http://www.umuc.edu/...w/copyright.cfm

I edited my above post. I guess my question is now, do you feel the same way if you're not using the item more than a single time. I certainly don't have any intent to compile a giant library of audio books. I just want to be able to listen to them on my ipod.

BTW, I do think that a major issue is the intent of the use, regardless of what the law actually is. For example I could continue to check out the same CD over and over again and keep it from another patron. Or I could put it on my ipod and return it because it might take me 8 weeks to listen to instead of the 4 allotted.

I did not say how I felt about it or whether I would do it. I am telling you what the law says because that is what you were asking about. The law is not actually murky, IMO. But, I am not assigning a value based judgment to my statements. :) I have no intention of policing anyone else's conscience. I have enough of my own issues to deal with! LOL

I did not say how I felt about it or whether I would do it. I am telling you what the law says because that is what you were asking about. The law is not actually murky, IMO. But, I am not assigning a value based judgment to my statements. :) I have no intention of policing anyone else's conscience. I have enough of my own issues to deal with! LOL

I wasn't specifically asking about the law more about the "rules" and commonly accepted practice. I suppose I wasn't very specific in my original question. No, the law isn't murky, but the issue it self is, IMO.

My conscience is quite capable of policing itself which is why I was asking the question. Sometimes it would be a lot easier to think a lot less.

Thanks for the info. The articles were indeed very interesting.