Menu

Biblioplan or History Odyssey??

Samiam

Looking for Middle Ages next year. 2nd grade and 4th grade combined.

We'll use SOTW Vol 2 with AG. We have CHOW. We like the Usborne/Kingfisher type Encyclopedias to add snippets of visuals.

I don't think any of these resources are enough on their own, to get enough details to mesh history together. I like combining them all together, along with real books, Brainpop and Discovery Streaming to tie it all together.

This year, I've been doing it on my own, using some blogs/websites like SatoriSmiles, and sites that did the work correlating SOTW/CHOW. It's been a good year, history wise.

I'm willing to pay for something that does a chunk of that work already. I don't think SatoriSmiles listed everything out for Vol 2 like she did for most of Vol1....that's been my favorite resource. I'm a tweaker by a nature, though, so have no fear cutting/adding where need be.

I've looked alot at Biblioplan. Saw it in person this weekend at Convention. Love that fact that the Companion is another spine to add to SOTW/CHOW for more info, and it was created to go with SOTW originally. I'd get the Companion and Parent Guide. Wouldnt' get the coloring pages or Maps (prefer SOTW versions). Don't necessarily need the church history part though....would probably incorporate it because it's there, but actually don't have "want" for it to be there.

Now I've been looking at History Odyessy. Level 1 Middle Ages. It's based around SOTW and CHOW, both already included in the assignment list. It looks like exactly what I need. The daily assignments aren't as concise in terms of a Day 1, Day 2, graph like BP provides, but I also enter everything into HST+ and make my own weekly chart anyway. It seems to offer just what I need, but still with room for me to tweak....without feeling like I've wasted my $$$ since it's relatively economical. I've read tons and tons of talk about HO, here on this forum, but most of those posts were from 2009-2010. Any recent Level 1 HO users?

Which would you choose?

I used History Odyssey loosely this year for Ancients. We are moving to Biblioplan Medieval next year. I DO want a Bible tie in and I DO like the Companion and how it adds to the overall cohesion. I am not sure how beneficial the Companion will be for my kids but it will be very beneficial for me as the teacher. I want something more open and go, I want to be able to easily see how to combine my K and 3rd grader and I like all the Biblioplan extras that are included in the full curriculum. We will use SOTW as our Biblioplan spine and I bought all the recommended readers to go along with the curriculum.

We're doing Biblioplan next year, though I may sub in some of my own lit. I can't say how it will work, but I really like the look of it. I bought the companion for enrichment reading, but plan to use SOTW and The Story of US as spines, depending on topic.

Are you looking for a secular curriculum? Biblioplan is definitely not. We love and use it but I was looking for church history integrated into it. I think for 2nd and 4th grades, you could get away with just using SOTW and the AG. I think there is also a list out there that tells you which chapters of SOTW correspond with CHOW. Maybe someone a bit more computer savvy will come along with the link for it.

Are you looking for a secular curriculum? Biblioplan is definitely not. We love and use it but I was looking for church history integrated into it. I think for 2nd and 4th grades, you could get away with just using SOTW and the AG. I think there is also a list out there that tells you which chapters of SOTW correspond with CHOW. Maybe someone a bit more computer savvy will come along with the link for it.

Not really looking for secular, but not really needing Church history...but I'd read it if it was there. I'm aware Biblioplan is fully Christian, and I'm okay with that. We're not practicing Christians but I've no problem exposing my children to Christian teachings and letting them make their own choice. We do live in the Bible Belt, so I prefer my children to have knowledge of the Bible because most of their interactions are with Christians,and we do utilize Christian servies, ie basketball at Upward, co-op in a church, etc. I don't want them to be completely clueless in terms of Christianity, if the conversatin comes up in these situations as I was growing up due to my parents not going to church or teaching us any which way in terms of religion.

As far as SOTW and CHOW, yes, I've been to that site, used it this year for SOTW Vol 1 and CHOW. Still don't think either one, and even combined, they are quite enough. CHOW is not worthwhile, IMHO, in terms of giving hearty info. I mean, it's an fun read, but just too light. We read it because I have it, and it is a fun read, but I couldn't use just that.

I think with the info you've all given, and my own bent towards the BP Companion as a hearty spine, I'm headed to BP :).