Menu

Anyone used the new Saxon series: Algebra I, Geometry, & Algebra II?

Interesting reviews. I didn't know about the new geometry book (mainly because I'm going off of TWTM recommendations.) I'm trying to figure out what the optimal sequence is for Saxon, if we choose to do it all the way through. We're finishing Math 1 in kindergarten, so would the rest look like this?

1st - Math 2

2nd - Math 3

3rd - 5/4

4th - 6/5

5th - 7/6

6th - 8/7

7th - Algebra 1 (3rd edition)

8th - Algebra 2 (3rd edition)

9th - Advanced Math

10th - Calculus

11th - Physics

I know, I know. Best-laid schemes of mice and men... but if things proceed well, is this the way it should go?

We chose to go with the older editions and not the newer one (with Geometry broken out as a distinct course). The integrated Geometry appealed to me initially, and now that we have worked through Alg 1 & 2 and are heading into Advanced Math, I still think it was the right choice for us. I will second the suggestion of Mr. Reed's DVD's but I don't think they are available for the new series.

We are on our second time thru the Saxon Geometry book - first with DS17 and now with DD. It is a really good geometry - plenty of proofs and quite rigorous. It still uses the Saxon style for teaching which has worked very well for my kids. I wasn't sure at first whether we would like it because the initial reviews were quite negative. It has more color than the older Saxon books (mostly blue) and a little different format. I bought the second printing (2009) which has the lesson numbers next to each problem. Definitely needed those!

We ended up using the Saxon geometry the first time because DS was headed back to public school for high school and needed a separate Geometry course listed in order to take Algebra 2 as a freshman. Using the older Algebra 1 book followed by the new Geometry was a good choice - DS was very well prepared with algebra, proofs, and trig stuff. He is still at the top of his class taking Calc AB this year. For DD, I wanted an extra year between Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 because she is young.

My take on it is that the older 2-book Saxon series is very good. But if you have a specific reason for wanting a separate Geometry book (changing publishers, need an extra year, whatever), then the new 3-book series is just fine.