Menu

Enough credits to graduate. Financial aid?

Guest abirch

Guest abirch

Hello. I am looking for some ideas and suggestions. My daughter is nearing the end of "10th grade". She has taken several AP exams and done extremely well.

She probably has enough total credits to graduate high school, yet she doesn't have 4 yrs of English, 4 of Social Sciences, 3 of Math, etc. She would like to take several college courses in the fall at our local community college. Our town high school does not have agreements with any local CC's where she can take one or two courses per semester without charge. I can't afford to pay out of pocket for CC classes. If I understand the FAFSA correctly, you must be a high school graduate to get federal aid. So, can I call her a high school graduate because she has enough credits, so that she can get aid to go to CC and take a couple of courses?

In two years when she is ready to apply to a four year school, can the high school and CC credits be put together on one "high school transcript"? Normally it seems many homeschoolers have AP exams and CC classes on their transcripts.

She is definately ready for college level work. How can I get her financial aid for CC classes without misrepresenting her? Am I not thinking this through correctly? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best,

You can't have it both ways. You can graduate her and send her off to the CC as a college student. Or you can pay the tuition and then use those CC credits as dual enrollment on her high school transcript.

If she is trying to get a Pell grant via the FAFSA, she will no longer be a high school student. She can transfer to a four year school though--but scholarship opportunities will be different for her as a transfer than as a first year.

You can't have it both ways. You can graduate her and send her off to the CC as a college student. Or you can pay the tuition and then use those CC credits as dual enrollment on her high school transcript.

If she is trying to get a Pell grant via the FAFSA, she will no longer be a high school student. She can transfer to a four year school though--but scholarship opportunities will be different for her as a transfer than as a first year.

Alas. This exactly. (Very clearly and succinctly put, Jane! :))

And just to add: if doing the community college (CC) classes as dual enrollment, as a high school student, she would also NOT be eligible for any CC scholarships or financial need aid.

Other financial options for taking CC classes as dual enrollment now:

- Look at whatever college savings you have -- educational savings account, bonds, etc -- as you may very well be able to use those to pay the cost of the CC tuition while dual enrolled as a high school student. Many of the educational savings options are flexible in that way.

- Would a grandparent or relative be willing to make a personal loan to your family for the tuition, and let you pay it back slowly? Perhaps DD could contribute to repaying the personal loan by working over the summers.

- Does your DD qualify as a minority? Some CCs, or some community minority organizations, offer special assistance to help high school students finish high school and be first-in-family to attend college.

Or, push through the summer, double up on work, and complete those college admission requirements of 4 English, 4 math, 3 Science, 3 Social Studies, 2 Foreign Language, and graduate her at the end of 11th grade. Since she's ready for college work now, this would be good practice for working at a faster pace with a heavier load, and it would get her into college sooner, and she would be eligible to apply for FAFSA and financial aid.

Just brainstorming here! BEST of luck, Lori D.

My daughter is nearing the end of "10th grade". She has taken several AP exams and done extremely well.

She is definately ready for college level work. How can I get her financial aid for CC classes without misrepresenting her? Am I not thinking this through correctly? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best,

I notice you say she is nearing the end of 10th grade. Will she be 16 in the Fall?

College level work and college are not one and the same.

Work levels can be adjusted without the experience of college, especially now. Free college level courses and work are available on the web, without the consequences of jumping into the college life. Challenging and engaging work can be done at home.

I would hesitate to graduate a 16 year old unless I was really certain they are ready for college in total. College is not a year long study for an exam, it is four to five classes that meet two to three times a week with professors who may not even know one another and usually don't care what the others have assigned. These classes need to be completed in a semester (quarter system ...). The surrounding population is greatly varied and seasoned with the experience age brings.