Menu

Harvey's Elementary Grammar vs. Rod and Staff Grammar 8: Is the grammar covered by

Well, according to this site, Harvey's Elementary Grammar And Composition is for grades 4-6, while Harvey's Revised English Grammar is for grades 7-8, and can be used through high school. Still, they say that the elementary grammar is "advanced", and contains stuff that some college professors never learned.

To compare TOCs:

Harvey's Elementary Grammar And Composition: TOC (contains the entire 1880 text online)

Harvey's Revised English Grammar: TOC (contains the entire 1900 text online)

Rod and Staff Grammar 8: TOC

As for what your child needs to know for high school, that depends on what they will be doing in high school, or what you as the parent believe to be essential knowledge. I did well enough in AP English (4&5 on the exams, A's in the class) while knowing nothing beyond the parts of speech, so it can be done. However, I suffered for my lack of knowledge, though at the time I was so ignorant that I didn't realize it was my lack of grammar that was making the lit analysis so hard. I didn't even know what I didn't know. I am now working to remedy that lack (several grammar books are even now winging their way from Amazon to me ;)).

My goal for my kids is that they will have sufficient grammar knowledge to do the sort of rhetorical analysis that SWB describes in chapter 4 of WWE (you can read that chapter online at PHP), and - as I don't have it myself, yet - I'm not really sure what all that comprises. Figure out your goal for your child (or their goal for themselves), and then seen what knowledge will be needed to fulfill that goal. Then you will be in a good place to evaluate which program will do what you/they want.

I checked on the Classical Writing site, and they think that completing Harvey's Elementary Grammar is sufficient; they say there is a lot of overlap b/w the two books. I've always been impressed with what I've seen of CW's program - it certainly would fulfill my goals for my kids - so there is a good chance that the Elementary Grammar program would be sufficient for your goals.