Menu

Does anyone use History notebooks a la WTM for Logic Stage...

LillianinAL

and somewhere along the way (probably somewhere in the articles and handouts listed on the WTM Website), I read that some people continue just keeping their history notebook in chronological order. This is what we do.

But, we aren't really very good notebook people around here. We file outlines, maps, and reports. And, sometimes they pile up for a few weeks before they make it into the notebook. (And, sometimes I wonder why we even do that much - :p)

You will definitely do more writing if you follow all the "people, wars, religion," subheadings. That would probably be a good thing!

according just to the directions found in WTM or with TOG? How is it working? I am deciding how to move next year with my 5th and 6th graders.

Thanks! Lillian

Lillian,

I haven't read that section of WTM yet (yes do have it, haven't gotten past page 70 yet, sigh...) and I don't remember the exact specifications TOG laid out.

Here is what I am doing:

Copying the TOG student pages into Word, removing anything we won't do, adding readers, writing assignments (broken into step by step pieces) and any thing else we might do. I have the binder organized by subject: History schedule (weekly overview and student sheets), narration sheets, timeline, Literature Worksheets, ect.... I print out everything she will need for that week and put it into her binder. This way she is able to work fairly independently. At the end of the week I just double check that she had completed everything. The only thing I keep up on during the week is her writing. Those pieces (brainstorming, cluster, topic sentence, draft, ect...) I have her turn in as she goes. I have her only keep the final draft in her notebook.

Heather

p.s. I am more relaxed with the younger girls, so they aren't doing a notebook yet. I will start my 2nd dd in 3rd grade.