Menu

RANT: Pushing MORNING extra-curricular lessons on HSers

We tried to do school in the afternoon so we could participate in a morning bible study program, but that day was just the morning program...the kids absolutely wouldn't do anything in the afternoon for school. So now we too guard our mornings. I have found in my area everything is at 1pm. sheesh, younger kids take naps during that time! So even that didn't work for us. I hope this year with the youngest slowly dropping her nap that we can make more. But yes, all the local co-ops are in the AM and so far nothing seems enough to add to our morning studies. I can't see wasting a good morning for the co-ops so far. Maybe when they are doing more independent work and can do more in the afternoons. for now, we are home in the mornings too. :)

I like lessons during the school day...it keeps the riff-raff out. Ha. Kidding....

LOL:lol: I agree... sigh.. there are some very strange homeschoolers out there!!!!!!!!!

I hate that everything for homeschoolers is during the day too. There are some wonderful programs out there, but they are all in the morning or afternoon. We could take part in them, but then we would be doing school well into the evening... which daddy does not like at all!! SIGH

I guess I can understand both perspectives. I'm a homeschooling mom and private music teacher. Before I started homeschooling, one homeschooling family came for lessons in the morning. I'm not sure how we decided on the time. I wasn't teaching much at the time, and my afternoons were not even close to full. But after I completed my first year of homeschooling, I realized how important mornings were for school. If it didn't happen in the morning, it didn't happen. I too, cherish my mornings. I asked the mom if the morning lessons cut into school time, and we rescheduled for early afternoon.

I occasionally teach make-up lessons to homeschoolers in the morning. I don't push anyone to do this. Most homeschoolers come early in the afternoon. It does help. Ps junior high students usually can't make it to my house until 4:30, I try to limit my lesson schedule to 3 days a week, and I don't schedule lessons after 5:30 (cuts into dinner and family time). Scheduling can be a pain, so I do understand teachers doing what is best for their business and family.

I'm sorry they keep persisting when you've clearly stated you're unavailable in the morning.