Menu

Abeka K4 or R&S preschool?

I did A Beka K4 Phonics with my ds last year. It did get him reading short vowel words and introduced the 2 vowel rule. I really didn't spend a lot of time looking elsewhere for pre-k reading, because my dd did it at a homeschool co-op and it worked for her.

It included writing, which was a little difficult for him, so I didn't have him do it all. You can choose manuscript or cursive. I did manuscript. Their ABC 123 book includes numbers as well. I had him do some of the pages, but he was doing BJU K math. It has a lot of coloring in it, which we started off doing, but it really got frustrating for him, so I didn't make him do all of it.

I'm glad we did it, because it did get him reading early. I didn't want to use A Beka past Kindergarten, because we love BJU reading for comprehension and stuff. BJU is expensive, and I found a set of Horizons really cheap so we're are doing that this year. We'll be in BJU by next year, regardless of cost. I'll keep looking for deals, though!

Those are both really good programs. It depends on what your goals are.

R&S is simple and straight forward. Takes a very gentle approach to learning. Their preschool program is lots of coloring , cutting, pasting , reading bible stories too. Very good and gentle if you have a child that likes to color , listen to stories and isn't ready to learn to read.

Abeka is more academic and gets into the nitty gritty of learning. They have an excellent reading program and it gets young children up and reading very early. Its very colorful so if you have a learner that needs bells and whistles to learn this would be the curriculum to go with.

I'd pick Abeka if I wanted a program. I tried one R & S preschool workbook and my dd hated it. I think she'd have liked Abeka, though. She's a bells-whistles kind of girl. We did end up using SSRW K for her preschool and she learned to read with that quite happily.

This is just my 2 pennies. Many people love the R&S preschool.