Menu

What historical fiction for 4th/5th grade Middle Ages?

I'm planning out history and literature for next year, and I have room for a short book or two set in the Middle Ages, but can't make up my mind as to which book(s). I want something fairly short, preferably under 200 pages, so I know books like Adam of the Road are out. For reference, the books I currently have planned are as follows:

Related to SOTW2:

The Midwife's Apprentice

The Kite Rider

Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess

Starry Messenger

Marco Polo

Good Queen Bess

Shakespeare: His Work and His World

Perceval

Cathedral

Favorite Medieval Tales

Ballplayers and Bonesetters

Not Related to SOTW2:

Chronicles of Narnia

When the Sirens Wailed

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Goodbye, Mr. Chips

The Age of Fable

What do you suggest?

Have you read A Door in the Wall, yet? I'm pretty sure this one is well under 200 pages.

Saladin by Diane Stanley really helps set up a different perspective for the crusades.

Arabs in the Golden Age by Mokhtar Moktefi also adds to this perspective.

Joan of Arc by Diane Stanely

There are several Landmark books, but I'm not sure if they will fall under 200 pages or not. We started Adam of the Road and found the writing a bit....hmmm....dull... :) but this is just our opinion.

Stories of Beowulf Told to the Children by H. E. Marshall (74 pages)

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from A Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz (I don't own this one, but I do know that it is a collection of poems....in case you'd like something like this.

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from A Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz (I don't own this one, but I do know that it is a collection of poems....in case you'd like something like this.

This is a fun resource. We actually got it in audiobook form, so I was able to sneak it in in the car :lol: The kids really enjoyed it, and we weren't even studying the time period when we listened to it.