Menu

Help with piecing Sonlight together...how does it work?

EastTNmom

So I've never used a box curriculum but am considering it for next year b/c we'll have a newborn in the house and I just know I need open-and-go for most things. I've been researching and it looks like SL will fit our needs BUT I don't need everything in their package nor can I afford it all. It looks like they have separate IGs for the core, science, and LA...yikes! Here's what I want to get but not sure if I should buy the IGs from them and then search for readers, add'l books from other sources/library to cut costs?

Core C (history only, don't need Geography)

LA 4-5 and readers

Science D (uses RS4K plus other books)

TT 4 for math

I already have AAS4, Geography, Bible, and Latin so I don't need the full program. Can anyone offer any input on how to piece together my order in the most cost effective way?

Thanks so much!

The cheapest way is to buy used. You can often find books sold as a lot. IGs are pretty cheap once they get older. Though if you're wanting the latest LA, you'd have to spend more. Most people don't use the LA, but some people like it.

For science D, make sure you get a new enough IG, since the old ones used a different book for the biology text. It will say somewhere on their site which things were updated when.

The geography does not have separate books but the information is listed in the IG, so you would just ignore that portion in your notes section.

You can just buy the IG and source what books you need from the library or used. You can occasionally find Sonlight sold as a used set which would save some money. The only thing is that most of them will be the old program and if you want the new program you will need to buy a new IG. This past year was the first year of this new updated IG.

I do know a few people who purchase new IG's and then check with the library to see which books they have. They then purchase the books they cannot get through their library. It is a lot of work and they have to make sure they get the books early or else they are sometimes checked out when they need them.

My suggestion would be to check around any local used curriculum sales or websites and see what you can get there. If you cannot get stuff there then purchase the IGs and check your library system. For Core C you might want to make sure you own CHOW and Usborn Book of World History since they are used through out the year.

Honestly, I keep trying to piece Sonlight cores together, and each time, I end up spending more money, time and stress than it's worth. It's totally doable, but comes at a cost.

My best advice if I were in your shoes? Find the IG used, then buy books new from Amazon, using their buy 4, get one free program. OR, buy a new IG and buy new from either SL or Amazon what you will need for *each trimester* at a time. IOW-buy what you need for the 1st trimester, then as times draws closer, buy what you need for the 2nd semester.

For the past two years, I have purchased used IG's for the Cores I wanted to use. I didn't care if these were the latest edition. Then I bought used books at various sources, including ebay, half price books and other online sources. This saved me several hundred dollars, as I was able to get everything I needed for around $200 or less. It takes a fair amount of time to do this, but I was successful in finding everything I needed. The time commitment involved mostly online searching so that was not difficult. I do not use SL's language arts or science so I was purchasing only the IG for history Core (which includes the literature and readers, which I use, and Bible/Geography, which I used one year and not the other). I have been very fortunate to happen upon used IG's and free shipping deals and such for the books. Our library is not nearby, and my time is at a premium so depending on the library for books would not work for me. FYI, as I understand, Amazon has discontinued their Buy 3/Get 1 free program...but I could be wrong....

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize that last year was an updated IG. I guess that's why I'm not seeing many used ones available. I own CHOW and several other books on the list, but yeah...trying to piece it together is a headache and may be more expensive. I'm still going back and forth on a box curr. vs piecing it together myself. This will be my first year with 2 official students AND a newborn....I'm scared I'll be so tired and incoherent and just want the convenience of plans neatly laid out. I just hope it won't drive me crazy b/c I'm such a tweaker and love to make my own plans. It's only a year, right? Lol

Still pondering.....

piecing a core is work, lots of work, unless you can find a complete core (or almost complete) on ebay then you will spend many hours working on saving money. You have a newborn and littles, so time is very limited for you. Also if you want to use the library for the books be warned, others might be doing it too and checking out a book when needed may be hard. I would suggest buying the IG and each trimester buying what you need or take advantage of the 9 month payment plan.

With that said.....you can piece it together buying used or finding a core on ebay (found an almost complete core for under $50 once) and spend very little money. Amazon used, library sales, and thrift stores are a great way to do this. It is very doable and the out of pocket money saved will be great but will take time and patience.

Warning, LA IGs bought new have the student pages and so do the science IGs, buying used most likely will not and finding the student pages that are from a not current IG is very hard to do.