Menu

Can you get enough history with just living books?

AnnaM

As long as I am using a good mix of biographies, historical non-fiction, historical fiction and a comprehensive checklist or scope and sequence, do you have confidence that a child can get enough history? I am finding myself drifting away from text books, even ones like SOTW and MOH. I find we are more likely to get it done if it is our read aloud or assigned quiet reading. Thoughts?

I think yes, with the caveat that you should take pains to read from many different perspectives. Reading two books about the same topic and comparing/contrasting POV is something that I personally think kids should move into by logic stage. Also, I would include primary source documents. In high school, I think reading from a variety of experts' analysis of events, people, etc. would be useful too, but I would classify many of those types of books as living books anyway. Books written by experts who love their subject matter seem to be inherently more interesting.