Menu

Chicken Coop question - starting out

Slipper

My husband is going nuts wanting us to keep chickens. I'm worried about the care and upkeep, but I'm going to try anyway. I need some help getting it started.

We live on several acres (about 12) so we have the room. We have an unused old shed a little ways from the house that we're hoping to convert into a chicken house. I'm not sure about the size, but it's big enough for shelter (we used to keep the riding lawnmowers in it).

We have gardens around that area, but right beside the shed we have nothing planted. We're thinking of making a chicken yard in that area.

Questions: (Lots :) )

To make the chicken yard, I would need to put up corner posts, chicken wire (sunk into the ground) and a roof, but nothing else?

Are the boxes to lay eggs basically wooden boxes? Just nail some wood together? What goes into the box? Hay?

Do I need floor covering in the shed? Can I just hose it out every few days?

They need ladders or limbs to get to the boxes or not?

If I have a chicken yard, do I still need a run?

We use 2 - 3 dozen eggs a week, depending on what we're cooking. How many chickens should I get?

I know fresh water is a must for any animal, but what else can I feed chickens besides chicken feed?

How long is daily/weekly/monthly upkeep?

Sorry for all the questions, I have a general idea, but want to make sure I know what I'm doing before getting them.

To make the chicken yard, I would need to put up corner posts, chicken wire (sunk into the ground) and a roof, but nothing else?

Ours has the posts and wire (not sunk into the ground) and no roof. I'd like one, but this will be year number four without one.

Are the boxes to lay eggs basically wooden boxes? Just nail some wood together? What goes into the box? Hay?

We use the cardboard apple boxes from the store. They have straw in them.

Do I need floor covering in the shed? Can I just hose it out every few days?

Sounds good.

They need ladders or limbs to get to the boxes or not?

Depends on accessibility of boxes, I guess. How high from the ground? Probably have a ramp of some sort, or ladder if more than a foot or so up.

If I have a chicken yard, do I still need a run?

What's the difference? We let ours free range for several hours a day beginning about noon (want them to lay in the hen house first). They don't tend to go too far and they come home to roost. We only have a couple of acres though, and can see them. No predators are around during the day.

We use 2 - 3 dozen eggs a week, depending on what we're cooking. How many chickens should I get?

We have 14 chickens and go through about the same amount of eggs. Better to have more than not enough -- you can sell your extras.

I know fresh water is a must for any animal, but what else can I feed chickens besides chicken feed?

We feed them most of our food scraps except for meat (and even that would probably be okay) and really saucy things. No citrus or onions. Sometimes we give them some oyster shell.

How long is daily/weekly/monthly upkeep?

I'd have to ask my daughter on that one. She's in charge out there.

Sorry for all the questions, I have a general idea, but want to make sure I know what I'm doing before getting them.

Have fun! They're easy to care for, and the eggs are great. We also butcher for the carcass at the end of their lives.