Menu

Hake Grammar vs. Essentials in Writing (EIW)

julikins

So, I just discovered EIW today and am impressed so far. Can someone please tell me more? Does it include enough grammar (Grammar, Usage, Mechanics AND writing?) or do you have another program for that? What are it's strengths? Weaknesses?

How does it compare to Hake Grammar? I've been thinking about going with that for my 6th grader--I like that it's a complete LA (grammar, mechanics, usage, writing). What are it's strengths? Weaknesses?

Thanks. I'm thinking about using this with my DS 3rd next year and DD 6th...

If you are familiar with Saxon math then that's similar to the style of Hake Grammar. My oldest dd used it for 6th grade but she only did the grammar portion....she used EIW for writing. She wasn't a big fan of it because of all the review and b/c we do use Saxon Math. It was a little much for her. Some kids love it and retain quite a bit from it, but not here. I think I may use EIW alone for my ds next fall for 2nd grade and not use a separate grammar program. From what I understand, there is a lot of grammar in the younger years opposed to older years. My dd9 is using the 4th grade EIW and though there was grammar in the beginning of it, there is not so much now. She uses GWG with EIW and it's working great for her! Hope you get some replies for I don't think I was much help!

EIW has plenty of grammer (at least for 2nd grade which is what we're on). They just go through it "quicker" then books like FLL (i.e. thare aren't a gazillion different lessons on adjectives likd in FLL). I already own FLL, so I do supplement if he needs more review or if there is a topic covered in FLL that isn't in EIW, but I don't think that is necessary at all.

Thanks for your replies...

I just want to make sure that if I make this commitment, I'd like to stick with it. I know I can always change, but I hate to curriculum hop. I'm at a crossroads right now though. I'm pretty tired of using R&S even though it is so solid and I'm facing a year where I need my kids to be a little more independent because we'll be traveling a lot. I like the idea of integrating grammar with writing instruction. I like MUS style teaching ( my daughter has thrived on MUS). And the price is right. Is there any reason that Hake would be better? I like the spiral approach of Hake, I think my kids could benefit from it. But does EIW review?

Ahhh, decisions! I thought I had the year figured out but I wasn't excited about it. This makes me a little more excited than I was. Hmmm...

We didn't do first grade last year, but there have been lessons where he talks about things like "remember what xxx is from last year?" and then gives the answer and builds on that. It also looks like the curriculum builds on itself like that just from looking at the scope and sequence for each level.