Menu

Has anyone moved from TT to RS?

fourcatmom

My 6th grader is working through TT 6 and not doing very well. I want a program that I can work with her but one that explains to me what I need to say to her to teach her. I have heard that RS does this very well. I am thinking of moving into RS 6. Has anyone else made this switch and how did they do?

I know you are asking specifically about RS, which I know nothing about but I'm responding because you said you want to work with her but want a program that will tell you what to teach her (a scripted program). CLE will tell you exactly what you need to say to her, it is inexpensive, and it is normally a grade level above what the workbook says. It is a spiral program like TT and It is a workbook, so she wouldn't have to re-write any of the problems. My 13 yr old dd and my 9 yr old ds use TT. My 8 yr old dd uses CLE and the scripted part of it was great for me. My 13 dd gets tired and bored of TT and I think it's because of the spiral method. I give her a break from it and have her do Aleks for a week and/or MUS. Then she's fine with going back to TT. We just started doing this and it has worked so far.

Thank you.I will look at CLE as well. I have heard many good things about both. She isn't doing well with TT and I don't want to wait until August to switch. I would rather switch now and see if we can make progress before then. I just want something that won't make her frustrated and she move forward but I also need something that is scipted becuase math is not my best subject by any means! Thanks for the help!

I know you are asking specifically about RS, which I know nothing about but I'm responding because you said you want to work with her but want a program that will tell you what to teach her (a scripted program). CLE will tell you exactly what you need to say to her, it is inexpensive, and it is normally a grade level above what the workbook says. It is a spiral program like TT and It is a workbook, so she wouldn't have to re-write any of the problems. My 13 yr old dd and my 9 yr old ds use TT. My 8 yr old dd uses CLE and the scripted part of it was great for me. My 13 dd gets tired and bored of TT and I think it's because of the spiral method. I give her a break from it and have her do Aleks for a week and/or MUS. Then she's fine with going back to TT. We just started doing this and it has worked so far.

If CLE is a grade above what the workbook says then would I start in 5 or 6 for a 6th grader? She is using TT which is probably more like 5th I guess?

I went from Math Mammoth with my oldest to R&S for some of the same reasons you mentioned - I wanted more explanation for me to be able to help him more...I still have MM on hand for extra practice if I need it, but I find the explanations and guidance in R&S to be just what we needed...My two younger ones are doing R&S as well, from the beginning...

Do you mean RS= RightStart or Rod & Staff (usually R&S)? I used RightStart E with my 6th grader last year (we had used MUS and SM before that). I do feel that RightStart really helped her to learn math better (she is a VSL). We then switched to TT this year. She still needed some help frpm me and prefers the workbook but is doing so much better with math. The other

thing with RightStart is that G is the last volume and we didn't want to focus on Geometry which is why we switched (that and we already owned TT7).

I have only used Rod & Staff one year when my oldest was in 2nd. I really liked it but she didn't (she is an auditory learner). I think it might have worked well with my VSL dd but to late now. Anyhow, hope you can glean something from my rambling. I guess wanted to clarify who you meant by RS.