Menu

ITBS vs. SAT testing

In our state, we are required to test our kiddos. My school district has given me the option of giving the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) or the Stanford Achievement Test (SAT). What is the difference between the two? My boys are 8 and 10 years old. My 10-year old is on the autism spectrum - I'm not sure if one test is better or worse for kids on the spectrum.

I'd appreciate any advice/input!

ETA: It looks like they can also take the CogAT.

I am an approved Stanford and ITBS administrator through BJUPress. Keep in mind that you are not allowed to administer the Stanford to your own children. We did testing through a co-op and I administered to other grades. It was a big pain and we did it in 1-1 1/2 days instead of spreading it out. I was exhausted, as were the kids by the end of it. This is our first year giving ITBS; I ordered a sample test that came last week. It seems pretty samey-samey to Stanford at first glance. FWIW, I would go with the easiest to administer.

Good Luck!

Make sure you know your state standards for testing kids with autism. My dd is not required to do testing.

I will, thank you! My son does have an IEP (well, now it's been changed to an ISP), that outlines flexible testing accommodations, but I will need to check further what is actually required for him.