Menu

If you teach cursive in K

morgan

If you teach cursive in K what program do you like best? My dd will be 6 at the end of the month and I want to transition her to cursive soon. Her handwriting isn't great and I am hoping cursive will be easier for her. She definitely likes "cute" work, so if the curriculum incorporates animals, kids, etc that would be a plus.

So far I am looking into Pentime (but I am worried the lines will be too small) and Abeka simply because I prefer the look of their fonts, but there are so many options out there. What has worked or not worked for your kids?

The grade 2 Pentime lines aren't that small. I haven't used it to teach cursive in K yet, but I could see doing so. Though my oldest has always found it easier to write on smaller lines anyway. WWE1 lines were waaaaay too large in 1st grade, for example.

So would you start with pentime cursive 3rd grade? My ds wants very badly to learn cursive, so I have been looking around for something for him and I would like for it to be cheap! We have been using HWOT and he has done great his print is'nt great but he has been forming them correctly. He has asked me almost everyday to learn cursive!

For a 5 year old, I'd start on Pentime 2, second half of the book. That's where they focus on letter formation. I even started my 3rd grader there. He'll do the grade 3 book toward the end of this school year and on into 4th grade.

Thank you!