Menu

What to do about dog injury?

bry's-gal

We need some advice from those of you with more animal experience!!!!

We have an 80 lb coon dog. We got home from small group Friday night, we noticed she was limping on her front paw. That same foot was slightly swollen up near the ankle. We do not know of anything that could have caused the injuries. We do walk her often and it has been muddy here so it is possible she could have tweaked it somehow on a walk. The vet was closed over the weekend so we've been letting her rest it as much as possible.

Today it seems slightly better- not as much limping and the swelling has gone done some. She still favors the foot- especially when she first gets up from lying for awhile. Do you think we should take her in to the vet tomorrow or give it a few more days?

If it appears to be getting a bit better, I'd give it another couple days to watch for improvement. I feel for you, our lab cut his foot (again!) and had to go to the vet Saturday because he wouldn't leave it alone and was being uber neurotic about it and was getting very stressed and anxious Friday night. He has a history of seizures, so we didnt risk it...but the cut was getting worse since he wouldn't leave it alone. If things are somewhat improving, I'd wait a bit to see if she is continuing to improve.

If it is improving then I would be ok to wait. My concern in our neck of the woods would be snake bites, particularly copperheads. It's probably a bit early for that but an actual bite wouldn't get better only worse.

Hope your dog feels better soon!

Elise in NC